Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default PA vacation home Firearm question

I am closing on a property in Trails end in Pike county this week.This will be my secondary home that I will spend 5-6days a month as well as the whole summer. I am a resident of NYC. Are there other ways of showing ownership in PA that would allow me to purchase a firearm to keep in PA? Or, is the only way to purchase, to have a PA drivers license? I do not currently have a nyc permit due to the fact that it*s almost impossible to get. Any recommendation for places to buy?
    Last edited by eokun1@gmail.com; September 13th, 2022 at 07:02 PM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: PA vacation home Firearm question

Here is some info from several years ago. The poster is still active here and is highly regarding for knowing much about FFL scenarios/issues that are outside of the common norms, but still absolutely legal.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...49#post2535849
    I've done several of these types of transfers (handguns for dual state residences, ie. students going to PSU Main Campus) and have not had a problem with PICS. I just get on with an operator and explain what is going on and what documentation I have. Typically they then ask for the buyers DL number and state (I think they use this when they enter the info into the NICS). I haven't had a denied yet and the total time, instead of being 3 minutes, it took 6 or 7 minutes.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

OP, got your PM and sent you some info.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

23 year US Army Veteran!!!! I hate liberals!! I only live in the communist state of NY because of my job!!

Quote Originally Posted by eokun1@gmail.com View Post
    I am closing on a property in Trails end in Pike county this week.This will be my secondary home that I will spend 5-6days a month as well as the whole summer. I am a resident of NYC. Are there other ways of showing ownership in PA that would allow me to purchase a firearm to keep in PA? Or, is the only way to purchase, to have a PA drivers license? I do not currently have a nyc permit due to the fact that it*s almost impossible to get. Any recommendation for places to buy?
    You absolutely DO NOT need a PA driver's license to purchase firearms in PA AND get a PA resident license to carry. You will need your tax documents showing that you own the property and a utility bill or something similar to show you're living there.

IMO, for the LTCF, it helps to be able to show some month's residence in the state, not that you just moved in last week. For firearm purchase, my wife and I bought firearms here with NJDLs within months of establishing our second home here.

You may find PSP or sheriff deputies who will tell you that you must have a PADL. They are wrong. You will also find FFLs (I've found a few) who will not believe (or not accept) that you can purchase firearms here in that manner. They are also wrong.

With respect to PICS, it's very possible that the first agent on the call will also think you can't do that. In that case your FFL should ask for a supervisor, who will know that it's legal.

Having said all that, it's within a FFL's rights to refuse to sell you a firearm. If that happens simply move on to one who knows the law.

It may also be possible to find a sheriff who will not issue the LTCF without a PADL. In which case you would have to challenge the sheriff legally. Potentially unpleasant, and possibly expensive. If that happened, I would get a consult with Joshua Prince, who could have a chat with your sheriff to clarify the matter. Joshua has actually presented to the PA Sheriff's Association on this exact topic.

I am speaking from direct personal experience.

Good luck. Any further questions PM me. (FYI, I'm not on this forum every single day. Too busy clawing back gun rights in New Jermany.)
    "You gotta be alive to get paid."