Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question I spent the $35, got my FCC GMRS License. Any nets or channels useful for Prep?

I got my license then got a radio, I expected to hear lots of kids playing on FRS, but all I get is NOAA or silence when scanning.

I might have heard a grand total of 3 conversations total in the last 4 days. One on those Repeater #3. So it seems these frequencies are pretty clear for preparedness use.

Is anyone actively using GMRS in the Philly suburbs area?

How have you integrated this into your preps?

Any tips for new users?

Before anyone asks, yes, I might eventually get an Amateur radio license but just not too interested in ham.

(Berks County)

Default Re: I spent the $35, got my FCC GMRS License. Any nets or channels useful for Prep?

Quote Originally Posted by PA_PB&J View Post
    I got my license then got a radio, I expected to hear lots of kids playing on FRS, but all I get is NOAA or silence when scanning.

I might have heard a grand total of 3 conversations total in the last 4 days. One on those Repeater #3. So it seems these frequencies are pretty clear for preparedness use.

Any tips for new users?

Before anyone asks, yes, I might eventually get an Amateur radio license but just not too interested in ham.
    I never found much on the GMRS channels but https://mygmrs.com/ is a good resource for information.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Default Re: I spent the $35, got my FCC GMRS License. Any nets or channels useful for Prep?

Any tips for new users?

I never found much on the GMRS channels but https://mygmrs.com/ is a good resource for information.

(Montgomery County)

55 views, one, I wonder what is the prepper com solution for everyone else in this sub forum.

(Montgomery County)

I have handheld as well that are ham capable.

Use them for camping mostly lol.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Did you switch to ham after your gmrs experience?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I have handheld as well that are ham capable.

Use them for camping mostly lol.
    Ham use without a license is allowed for emergency use to protect property and life, so in a prepper context it can make sense to have them to monitor (no license needed) and transmit only as allowed in emergencies.

Those $25 chinese UV-5s seem to be very popular (they can transmit on both ham and gmrs frequencies).

(Berks County)

Did you switch to ham after your gmrs experience?
    I did. I have two Garmin Rhinos that I'll use when convenient and applicable. The only place I've really seen that used is in Upstate, NY. There was some action on a repeater up there.
    Ham use without a license is allowed for emergency use to protect property and life, so in a prepper context it can make sense to have them to monitor (no license needed) and transmit only as allowed in emergencies.

Those $25 chinese UV-5s seem to be very popular (they can transmit on both ham and gmrs frequencies).
    I have one of those, as do quite a few others on here and after getting my ham license, I got a Kenwood handheld that was short-lived in production for some reason. The reason is not the quality or capabilities of the unit, it is an awesome radio.

(Philadelphia County)

You probably won't hear much. They are extremely short range.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    You probably won't hear much. They are extremely short range.
    On simplex they aren't much good but there are repeaters around.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast