Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: I spent the $35, got my FCC GMRS License. Any nets or channels useful for Prep?

Quote Originally Posted by PA_PB&J View Post
    I agree, plan then tools.

For me this is mostly for family communication. I have some FRS coming in to see if the family gets interested, else just another off grid tool which might not come in handy unless the community gets in the habit of moving to gmrs during emergencies.
    I have a good friend started the same way. Wanted to talk to his wife from work (19 miles straight line) in case of emergency. Found out that even putting up his own repeater, it was lousy reception (terrain, obsticles, etc). he wound up getting his HAM ticket, and has become very active in the comms community. Disregard the guys saying the license is useless, they're the same ones who won't buy their LCTF because the 2A is their license. People who don't start learning and using their tools will be in trouble when the SHTF because they will have no one trusted to talk to, and be unable to troubleshoot the problems when they occur.

When working comms remember it's 2x as important to LISTEN as it is to talk, that's how you gather information. Also think three rings, immediate tactical (think squad level) which is where GMRS/ FRS resides, Regional (think Company/ Battalion), then there is Strategic (the rest of the world so to speak). The Tactical and Regional gives you information and resources that will impact you directly and near immediately, the strategic lets you know what's happening in the rest of the world.

Based on your location I would have been happy to link you up with a guy, unfortunately, he became a silent key (ham talk for passed on) earlier this summer, he could have talked the tech of this with you for a week without taking a breath. I would suggest talking to a local radio club that specializes in emergency communications, I'm talking the guys who are communicators with ham licenses, not hams who play emergency. They can talk to you, listen and help you come up with an informed plan of action that will minimize your expenditures and maximize your capabilities.

(York County)

Default Re: I spent the $35, got my FCC GMRS License. Any nets or channels useful for Prep?

Get your amateur radio technicians license.

First, before doing any studying go to : hamstudy.org
    Register and take a test BEFORE you do any stuyding.

Then purchase the spiral bound manual from ARRL:
    https://www.amazon.com/License-Manua...dp/1625951558/

Read it cover-to-cover.

Then re-take the test on hamstudy.org.
    It will show you by category what questions your struggling with. In the back of the manual are the questions by category. Find them then go back and re-read those chapters. Continue re-taking the test and focus on those topic studying until you consistently get over 90%.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
    Get your amateur radio technicians license...

Likely next on my list, I have the cheap dual band GMRS Baofeng so I can monitor many ham frequencies (transmitting would not be prudent outside emergencies) and get the local ARES weekly net.

There at least two big repeater in Philly and they should comfortably get out to most of Abington. I've been unable to hit either, I need to try higher elevation or other locations in my area.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    ... I would suggest talking to a local radio club that specializes in emergency communications, I'm talking the guys who are communicators with ham licenses, not hams who play emergency. They can talk to you, listen and help you come up with an informed plan of action that will minimize your expenditures and maximize your capabilities.
    Sorry about your friend. I'm likely headed towards the ham license while trying to learn about communication plans. It look slike GMRS will likely remain a key piece of the plan due to compatibility with WalMart blister pack type FRS.

For now it's just another hobby (I have loaded mags that have more money in ammo than what my HT cost), let's see where it goes.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
    Get your amateur radio technicians license.

First, before doing any studying go to : hamstudy.org
    Register and take a test BEFORE you do any stuyding.

Then purchase the spiral bound manual from ARRL:
    https://www.amazon.com/License-Manua...dp/1625951558/

Read it cover-to-cover.

Then re-take the test on hamstudy.org.
    It will show you by category what questions your struggling with. In the back of the manual are the questions by category. Find them then go back and re-read those chapters. Continue re-taking the test and focus on those topic studying until you consistently get over 90%.
    Thanks for the info!!
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

I have Tech License, but in my opinion , it's not enough for a shtf situation. I have two hand held units but without a repeater source they are limited.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
    I have Tech License, but in my opinion , it's not enough for a shtf situation. I have two hand held units but without a repeater source they are limited.
    There are repeaters all over the place.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Analog repeaters are becoming harder to find. Digital repeaters are neat. I've done some DMX stuff with a micro-repeater. It's fairly fun.

I've tried a number of times around me, and I never get a response. But they were busier when I lived in California.

Getting a technicians license is very, very easy. You still have to pay the FCC, but the license is good for 10 years.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
    Analog repeaters are becoming harder to find. Digital repeaters are neat. I've done some DMX stuff with a micro-repeater. It's fairly fun.

I've tried a number of times around me, and I never get a response. But they were busier when I lived in California.

Getting a technicians license is very, very easy. You still have to pay the FCC, but the license is good for 10 years.
    Maybe on the west coast, but here in the Eastern PA ARRL grouping, there are more analog repeaters than worth counting. We're talking at least a half dozen per county in 2M, not counting 70CM, or other bands. the downside to that saturation, none of the repeaters get used. Repeaters you couldn't get time on previously are quiet, ones that had heavy "Drive time" rag chews, quiet. In addition, it's hard to get new people to be active on those repeaters when they are so quiet. Lot of interest in the Digital modes (DMR, Fusion, Etc) but again mostly quiet during the day, internet is required for the repeater links, ties up a lot more resources for a QSO. Lebanon club (meeting and testing tomorrow) tests 3 - 4 new people every month, you think the club would be larger than it is, but people don't join and don't become "radio active', leadership is always looking for new ways to get these people on air, and it does get flustering.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast