Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: I spent the $35, got my FCC GMRS License. Any nets or channels useful for Prep?

Not bad to have, but as Sparks pointed out, very short range, think Squad level tactical. Even with repeaters, GMRS is very quiet on a day-to-day basis. Ham 2M repeaters have also been quieter than normal this summer, ones that used to be heady duty use can go most the day without breaking squelch.

Understand that SHTF Comms is an individual thing. What is YOUR communication goal? who do you plan to talk to and why is what should be driving the tool choice, not the tool looking for a solution.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I spent the $35, got my FCC GMRS License. Any nets or channels useful for Prep?

Quote Originally Posted by PA_PB&J View Post
    55 views, one, I wonder what is the prepper com solution for everyone else in this sub forum.
    I'm going to go and a GUESS that most people are not inclined to give $35 to the govt for absolutely nothing. But that's just a guess.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I'm going to go and a GUESS that most people are not inclined to give $35 to the govt for absolutely nothing. But that's just a guess.
    Careful, using them without a license, the FCC is hiding in tracking vans everywhere.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Careful, using them without a license, the FCC is hiding in tracking vans everywhere.
    Yeah. Three FBI Surveillance vans parked on my street right now!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Yeah. Three FBI Surveillance vans parked on my street right now!
    That's more likely than the FCC vans.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That's more likely than the FCC vans.
    Maybe they are co-vanning!!! Stealthy, sneaky bastards!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA_PB&J View Post
    Ham use without a license is allowed for emergency use to protect property and life, so in a prepper context it can make sense to have them to monitor (no license needed) and transmit only as allowed in emergencies.

Those $25 chinese UV-5s seem to be very popular (they can transmit on both ham and gmrs frequencies).
    That's exactly what I have and how I roll!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Not bad to have, but as Sparks pointed out, very short range, think Squad level tactical. Even with repeaters, GMRS is very quiet on a day-to-day basis. Ham 2M repeaters have also been quieter than normal this summer, ones that used to be heady duty use can go most the day without breaking squelch.

Understand that SHTF Comms is an individual thing. What is YOUR communication goal? who do you plan to talk to and why is what should be driving the tool choice, not the tool looking for a solution.
    Most of those folks were older and probably got the clot shot unfortunately.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    ...What is YOUR communication goal? who do you plan to talk to and why is what should be driving the tool choice, not the tool looking for a solution.
    I agree, plan then tools.

For me this is mostly for family communication. I have some FRS coming in to see if the family gets interested, else just another off grid tool which might not come in handy unless the community gets in the habit of moving to gmrs during emergencies.

(Carbon County)

i got my license a few months ago and a wouxun (pronounced ocean ) handheld.

they have mobiles that are 50 watt which you should be able to get out pretty well.

I hear mobile guys on the repeater on the turnpike about 15 miles away.

I can hit the repeater if I'm outside
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast