Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Delaware County)

Question Dealing with rudeness and such

Alright y’all,

I’m pretty sure I asked this a few years back, but my google-fu is weak today:

If I understand correctly, self defense can not be claimed by the person who initiated the encounter. Let’s say I come across a young Lou Ferigno and his 2 brothers harassing a young waitress at an outdoor table, getting particularly unpleasant in their language. This behavior is unacceptable (or should be) in any society, so I ask them not so politely to bugger off. Apparently, they take umbrage at my chivalry and they turn their attentions to me. They are younger, taller, wider, and faster than me, with fists the size of my head, so a definite disparity of force. When they start to charge at me I draw my EDC and tell them to stop. When they don’t, I stop them.

Have I lost the right to self defense by “starting” this fight? There are many societal ills that ‘should’ be addressed, but I find myself hesitant because I don’t want to “dis” someone without a proper conscience and wind up needing to use deadly force to correct their psychological imbalance.

I just wonder how all y’all think…

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Dealing with rudeness and such

Regardless of the law, it really depends on the judgement of 12 of your peers.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Alright y*all,

I*m pretty sure I asked this a few years back, but my google-fu is weak today:

If I understand correctly, self defense can not be claimed by the person who initiated the encounter. Let*s say I come across a young Lou Ferigno and his 2 brothers harassing a young waitress at an outdoor table, getting particularly unpleasant in their language. This behavior is unacceptable (or should be) in any society, so I ask them not so politely to bugger off. Apparently, they take umbrage at my chivalry and they turn their attentions to me. They are younger, taller, wider, and faster than me, with fists the size of my head, so a definite disparity of force. When they start to charge at me I draw my EDC and tell them to stop. When they don*t, I stop them.

Have I lost the right to self defense by *starting* this fight? There are many societal ills that *should* be addressed, but I find myself hesitant because I don*t want to *dis* someone without a proper conscience and wind up needing to use deadly force to correct their psychological imbalance.

I just wonder how all y*all think*
    Sometimes you need to do what is right, and not worry about what others might think.

You cross that bridge when you get to it.

(Washington County)

Every use of self defense force is completely unqiue.

I think you are confusing escalation of force with the premise of engaging people in conversation they don*t want to hear.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

If your asking the waitress for a fresh napkin, to perform her job functions. Louie louie and his gym bros decide you are interfering with them getting their "game" on.
    I think you are interacting with the waitress, not the steroid stallions.
    If they decide to interject themselves into your discussion with a service provider in regards to her doing her job, then THEY become the initiators of the confrontation..
    If I sat on the jury and the story was described from both points of view, I think I would vote for jury nullification
    the more you know.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

I don't have the answer to your question.

However....it doesn't take a genius to figure out where your interjection made lead, given the crowd you are directing it to. So, really, you have to ask yourself, before you ever open your mouth, is it worth the risk of ending up in court for shooting one or more of these fellows, because you felt the need to involve yourself in business that isn't yours. If the answer is "yes" then I don't think your legal standing matters. You're doing what you think is the right thing, and the chips fall where they may. If the answer is "no", then you might consider doing something more reasonable, such as having a word with the manager...you know, the person whose actual job is to deal with this kind of thing.

Real life isn't like some Hollywood movie, where honourable guy does noble deeds, puts bad guys in their place and suffers no repercussions. Remember that if even if you go to court and win, you're still out time, money, potentially a job, and other things. Better make damned sure it's all worth it before opening your mouth when you are armed.

That's how "I all" think (;
    Last edited by free; September 10th, 2022 at 08:39 AM.

Depending on situation I usually respond with , WHAT ! DID I GROW TWO F##KIN HEADS ! And or I do eye contact and not one blink of an eye starring into assholes eyes !

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post

However....it doesn't take a genius to figure out where your interjection made lead, given the crowd you are directing it to. So, really, you have to ask yourself, before you ever open your mouth, is it worth the risk of ending up in court for shooting one or more of these fellows, because you felt the need to involve yourself in business that isn't yours. If the answer is "yes" then I don't think your legal standing matters. You're doing what you think is the right thing, and the chips fall where they may. If the answer is "no", then you might consider doing something more reasonable, such as having a word with the manager...you know, the person whose actual job is to deal with this kind of thing.

Real life isn't like some Hollywood movie, where honourable guy does noble deeds, puts bad guys in their place and suffers no repercussions. Remember that if even if you go to court and win, you're still out time, money, potentially a job, and other things. Better make damned sure it's all worth it before opening your mouth when you are armed.

Well said. Won't let me rep you though.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post

This. ^

My wife and I were at the the vet's office with my dog last week and a woman (there with her boyfriend) starts vaping in the waiting room. My immediate thought was to yell out: "What the hell is wrong with you? You can't vape in here." This probably would have resulted in a verbal argument to begin with and potentially escalated from there. The end result probably would have been a melee in the office, the police being called and all 4 of us being banned from the practice. Instead, I kept my mouth shut and once the couple went into the exam room, I let the staff know. If you start in with every inconsiderate idiot you encounter in a given day, things are probably going to get ugly quickly.

(Allegheny County)

If you start in with every inconsiderate idiot you encounter in a given day, you will probably be in jail before the day is over things are probably going to get ugly quickly.
    FIFY.

And I agree (;0.

I can't tell you how many times I see an asshole throw his cigarette butt out the car window into the street at a traffic light, and I have to repress the urge to get off my bike, grab the butt and throw it back into his open window while saying "you dropped this!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast