Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Spot

(Delaware County)

Default Vacation Spot

I recall some threads here discussing some good PA vacation spots, but I can't find the one longer one.

We want to get away for a weekend (with a 10yo child) away from cities and people. A nice cabin would be great. We don't really want to be busy, maybe see some nature, etc.

I'm around Tioga and Wellsboro. Anywhere else I should focus?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Vacation Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
    I recall some threads here discussing some good PA vacation spots, but I can't find the one longer one.

We want to get away for a weekend (with a 10yo child) away from cities and people. A nice cabin would be great. We don't really want to be busy, maybe see some nature, etc.

I'm around Tioga and Wellsboro. Anywhere else I should focus?
    There's a cabin that I took some Amish too outside of Wellsboro. I'll see if I can find the address for you. It was a nice place, not far from the Grand Canyon, there's a place nearby that rents kayaks and canoes. There's a very friendly Mechanic about 7 miles away.

The cabin was very nice, had a big game room, nice property off the road on a hill. No idea on cost, but I'll see if I can find contact info for you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

If you are looking to stay close to home, I recently spent some time in Hills Creek State Park. They have nice cabins there. I don't know if you will be able to get into one on such short notice. The park was really nice though.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    If you are looking to stay close to home, I recently spent some time in Hills Creek State Park. They have nice cabins there. I don't know if you will be able to get into one on such short notice. The park was really nice though.
    I'm in Delaware County, so I expect to drive 4 hours or so. Wellsboro is basically in that range. I'll check out that area, thanks!

We don't have to be in the places I noted, those were just to get the ball rolling. I don't really want to drive to the western side since that's a bit far.

(Delaware County)

I've also noticed that places like VRBO and the like don't have much up there. Are there local cabin rental places that are decent?

(Northumberland County)

The whole Tioga county area is nice especially in the fall, just depends what you want to do. I'd stick near-ish to Wellsboro honestly unless you know you want to be hiking, fishing, etc. the whole time. Plenty of cabins on AirBNB and such, motels outside of town on rt 6, and a few hotels in town. Also enough state parks, some with camping. If you want to be really out of the way, look for AirBNB/VRBOs and motels out by "Gaines"...theres a bunch of cabins out there (personal and commercial), dirt roads for walking, deer spotting.

Wellsboro takes all of 2 hours to walk honestly, but it's a nice area with a small town feel. The movie theater is quaint if you have a rainy day. Hills Creek state park is 20 min outside Wellsboro, has a lake and camping (cabins, RV, etc). PA Grand Canyon is a must if you've never been there...I prefer the western rim personally (eastern side is the more commercial side). Grand canyon also has the rail trail for biking and hiking, and the Pine Creek. Theres a train ride outside Wellsboro as well, and a horse drawn wagon that goes through the canyon. Pine creek for fishing and kayaking, when there's enough water. Used to be able to get Cessna tours of the canyon as well, but that was years ago...not sure if they still do that or not (Tioga airport offered them on certain days/had to schedule). Cowanesque, Hammond, etc. lakes are farther north but still close if you want "bigger water" for boating.

West of there you have Galeton (30 min) and Coudersport (1hr or so). Lumber museum, ice mine, Eliot Ness of Untouchable fame, are the attractions out that way. And the Case/Zippo plant if you keep going west a bit more.

Mansfield is about 25 min due East of Wellsboro, also a nice little town but has the college, Walmart, etc.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
    I've also noticed that places like VRBO and the like don't have much up there. Are there local cabin rental places that are decent?
    All west of Wellsboro but not far...
    Cant speak from experience because we have our own cabin, but Rough Cut Lodge has a nice spot at any rate, right on Pine Creek. We're 6 miles north of them. https://roughcutlodge.com/

If you want personal cabins, the area due north of them is loaded but would have to see what's up for rent. That area opens up into Asaph forest and eventually runs back to Sabinsville and a nice lake called Beechwood.

Colton Point Motel also sells out quick. Small affair, I assume decent based on usually being busy...usually one of the first to post "no vacancy".

Coach Stop hotel / motel is about 1/2 a mile down the road from Colton Point but they've changed hands a few times and I dont know how they are now. They do have a restaurant though.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    All west of Wellsboro but not far...
    Cant speak from experience because we have our own cabin, but Rough Cut Lodge has a nice spot at any rate, right on Pine Creek. We're 6 miles north of them. https://roughcutlodge.com/

If you want personal cabins, the area due north of them is loaded but would have to see what's up for rent. That area opens up into Asaph forest and eventually runs back to Sabinsville and a nice lake called Beechwood.

Colton Point Motel also sells out quick. Small affair, I assume decent based on usually being busy...usually one of the first to post "no vacancy".

Coach Stop hotel / motel is about 1/2 a mile down the road from Colton Point but they've changed hands a few times and I dont know how they are now. They do have a restaurant though.
    Maybe you know the cabin I'm thinking of, sounds like you're in the area. There's a cabin, on the north side of 6, apparently an older couple owned it, and they have both passed. It went up for auction I believe earlier this year. Now it's owned by an Amish family. I can't find it on Google maps, and I don't remember the address. But it's driveway was a tight turn from the westbound side of 6. The driveway curves through the trees to the cabin.

(Lancaster County)

I think I found it: https://www.google.com/maps/place/41...!4d-77.5121465

Google Earth doesn't have an address for it though.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I think I found it: https://www.google.com/maps/place/41...!4d-77.5121465

Google Earth doesn't have an address for it though.
    Hah! That's right in the area I was gonna guess actually. I know a place did go up for sale within the past year or two in that area, and there is a place that sits back up a long driveway on a switchback of sorts, but that's all I know. Seem to recall it being a nice place from what I saw in the sale ad. Had no idea Amish bought it though. There arent that many of them up there. Its real close to the Log Cabin restaurant though, if it's the place i think it is.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast