Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pardon story

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Pardon story

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    No one else said it yet, but you're not done just because you got a pardon. You must now get your record expunged of the matter before you attempt to carry your fathers shotgun or to purchase a firearm. The pardon is just the first step to getting your firearm rights back.
    I thought there was a fairly recent decision (case involving Josh Prince) that changed that, but I can't find a citation to back it up. I did find a PA decision that basically said an expungement can't be denied after a pardon, because the pardon itself completely obliterates one's criminal record (in so far as the offense pardoned), so it would seem like an arbitrary, unnecessary step. I also found a case stating that someone did not have to specifically petition of have rights restored after a pardon, again, because a pardon was the ultimate eraser. That too was a Prince case, and I think it's the one I want to point to, but expungement isn't mentioned at all: https://tinyurl.com/2phaq5qy

From the decision:
    an individual who receives a full pardon is neither prohibited from purchasing and possessing a firearms and ammunition nor prohibited from obtaining a license to carry firearms.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I thought there was a fairly recent decision (case involving Josh Prince) that changed that, but I can't find a citation to back it up. I did find a PA decision that basically said an expungement can't be denied after a pardon, because the pardon itself completely obliterates one's criminal record (in so far as the offense pardoned), so it would seem like an arbitrary, unnecessary step. I also found a case stating that someone did not have to specifically petition of have rights restored after a pardon, again, because a pardon was the ultimate eraser. That too was a Prince case, and I think it's the one I want to point to, but expungement isn't mentioned at all: https://tinyurl.com/2phaq5qy

From the decision:
    This is good to know. But thankfully I have had my gun/civil rights restored long before I received a pardon.

(Centre County)

Greg, I agree with you and seem to remember those statements. BUT, if the people who maintain the records (PSP, FBI-NICS, etc.) aren't given that info, then the person will probably get denied and and have another fight again to have their records wiped clean. I have no idea what happens when Wolf signs the pardon - who takes that information and makes copies and sends it to the appropriate places so the record can be fixed? Do Wolfs people even care if it doesn't get done the way it is supposed to?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123