Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: How is living in Chambersburg & Greencastle?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yes and no. For the last 48 months houses were selling regardless of location or condition. Most people were waving inspections just to get into something. I bet half of them are regretting that dumb decision. Over the last two months things have cooled down a bit and what we are seeing is a whole lot of poorly maintained homes on the market that are extremely over priced. Most have been sitting a few months with multiple price drops in the $3-$4k range each. They are basically praying some idiot comes in and buys it in a panic and overlooks everything.

When a really great house comes on in excellent condition it goes super fast. We put ours up two weeks ago on a Friday. We had two couples come that day, two the next and two that Sunday. Both couples from the Friday put bids in. The 1st was full price, the 2nd $10k over asking. We purposely listed high since we are in no rush to see what the market is like and it still got over asking. The buyer also agreed to pay up to $30k over appraisal up to the agreed price if it comes back less then listed. They are from PA and wanted some land. Anything with land had a dump of a home on it. This was the 1st one they found that is in move in condition. Inspection was a breeze. I did have to replace the septic pump, and wiring but it was over 20 years old. So that cost me $1500.00 yesterday along with getting the tank pumped.

My brother in law is a realtor on the side in NJ and the market is still in full retard mode. Every house he moves goes between $10,000 to $40,000 over asking and the buyers are paying the difference in appraisal in cash. The areas in WV we are looking are very limited so the house pickings are slim. In some cases they are higher then PA for what you get, however the taxes are next to nothing as compared to here. A kick ass house popped up this morning there so we are headed there tomorrow night. Hopefully this is the one and we don*t end up in a bidding war.
    Sounds good and good luck.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Depending on where your Maryland family is, you could open your search to the Waynesboro area. It's a very conservative community in general, pretty laid back and relatively inexpensive.
    I wouldn't want to live in the limits of Chambersburg but anywhere outside the limits would be OK. As was mentioned, there are tons of smaller places like Mercersburg (which is very nice), there's Mont Alto. Not much around Mont Alto except Penn State, but a nice quiet community. It really depends on what is important to you.
    We moved from Falling Waters (actually Marlowe) WV to Waynesboro about 11 years ago. I don't regret the move because it was to be closer to family, but I did like WV a little better. That said, we did change a lot, we went from 2.5 acres down to .5, we went from country living to neighborhood living. We are in a more convenient location now, so it's hard to compare apples to apples.
    The Hostler

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    How 'bout Newville?
    Is that near bumfuck? saving private ryan
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Depending on where your Maryland family is, you could open your search to the Waynesboro area. It's a very conservative community in general, pretty laid back and relatively inexpensive.
    I wouldn't want to live in the limits of Chambersburg but anywhere outside the limits would be OK. As was mentioned, there are tons of smaller places like Mercersburg (which is very nice), there's Mont Alto. Not much around Mont Alto except Penn State, but a nice quiet community. It really depends on what is important to you.
    We moved from Falling Waters (actually Marlowe) WV to Waynesboro about 11 years ago. I don't regret the move because it was to be closer to family, but I did like WV a little better. That said, we did change a lot, we went from 2.5 acres down to .5, we went from country living to neighborhood living. We are in a more convenient location now, so it's hard to compare apples to apples.
    We put a offer on a nice house in Falling Waters yesterday evening. 5 open flat acres in a really nice community. Nice area that was close to everything we need (some of it in Hagerstown MD) Outside area seems very nice and school complex was impressive. If it’s not excepted we will take a look at the areas you mentioned.

Thanks

(Franklin County)

We put a offer on a nice house in Falling Waters yesterday evening. 5 open flat acres in a really nice community. Nice area that was close to everything we need (some of it in Hagerstown MD) Outside area seems very nice and school complex was impressive. If it*s not excepted we will take a look at the areas you mentioned.

Thanks
    I hope it works out for you! You get the benefits of WV, constitutional carry being one, and you're still closer to the PA/MD border than most of Franklin county, PA, so Hagerstown and even Chambersburg are close enough for an easy visit if you need something from "town".

Here's a perfect example from Chambersburg on why I wouldn't recommend the borough itself. Upcoming council meeting topic, from the local rag: Equity vs. equality: Hearing Monday on Chambersburg comprehensive plan
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

We put a offer on a nice house in Falling Waters yesterday evening. 5 open flat acres in a really nice community. Nice area that was close to everything we need (some of it in Hagerstown MD) Outside area seems very nice and school complex was impressive. If it*s not excepted we will take a look at the areas you mentioned.

Thanks
    I hope it works out for you.
    Falling Waters is pretty convenient until there's an accident on 81, then you will be sitting in traffic to get to MD.
    I work in Williamsport MD and my wife works in Hagerstown. About once every couple of months there would be a bad accident on 81 that would shut it and 11 down.
    Enjoy your freedoms there,.an enjoy not paying school taxes.
    The Hostler

Just an update.

Ended up finding a house that will work excellent for us in Falling Waters WV and should be closing on it October 14th. Very low outdoor maintenance as compared to my current property other then 5 acres of open field to mow. Comes with a Kabota 60" commercial grade zero turn so I am defiantly not worried about it.

Thanks for all the info fellas.

(Berks County)

Just an update.

Ended up finding a house that will work excellent for us in Falling Waters WV and should be closing on it October 14th. Very low outdoor maintenance as compared to my current property other then 5 acres of open field to mow. Comes with a Kabota 60" commercial grade zero turn so I am defiantly not worried about it.

Thanks for all the info fellas.
    Congratulations and good luck with your new digs.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wyoming County)

CONGRATS Hodgie! The Commonwealth of PA. is losing a good man

(Lancaster County)

Make sure you sign up for WVFOA down there.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast