Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How is living in Chambersburg & Greencastle?

Been awhile since I have been on, there is a lot going on over the last few years. Long story short we have sold out home here in Monroe County and were looking to move out of state in order to be closer to family in MD without actually living in MD. Currently we have narrowed it down to a select few locations in WV, however there is not to many homes currently on the market in those areas. We are now considering Greencastle and Chambersburg on the PA side which is a bit further from my brother but not out of the question. They look nice enough when driving through, but I do not know much about them for Franklin county. Most importantly are the schools, my son is in the 5th and my daughter is a freshmen in high school this year. The schools don't rate high on the realtor sites, but I do not trust their metrics because they are not just based on student ad teacher performance. Enter diversity and inclusion and things outside of actual education.

Any info would be great.

Thanks!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: How is living in Chambersburg & Greencastle?

How's it going man, been quite a while? I get through that area and it seems pretty rural, with the exception of Chambersburg proper. Probably similar to what you're used to. Quite a few good camping/hiking areas down that way too. We did the poofa backpacking trip through Michaux SF a few years ago and it was very nice area close by.

(Wyoming County)

Sorry Hodge, can't help you with info, but it's good to hear from you.

Best of luck with your search!
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Franklin County)

I have found the cost of living here in Chambersburg much less than the Lehigh Valley, from where I moved from in 2012. If you live within the Borough of Chambersburg, all utilities come in one bill and very reasonable, to me anyway. Plus they have their own Electric, which not many other cities in Pa. have. As far as the schools, you may want to believe what the realtor*s sites say, I have not heard good things about the public school system here. But, then again, my grandchildren went to private school at Corpus Christie which only goes to eighth grade as their is no public Catholic High School here in Chambersburg. I don*t think you have to be Catholic to go to Corpus. But I have heard better of Greencastle High School, which is not far away. Overall, I am very happy here. Lots of restaurants and doctors offices and the hospital has won awards for their heart care. But any open heart surgery is done in Hershey or another big city. People are nice here also. Also a low crime rate as far as any shootings or other major crimes.
    Last edited by Swamp Fox; September 7th, 2022 at 01:42 PM.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Franklin County)

You may also want to consider smaller towns like St. Thomas or Mercersburg, or more rural housing that all lie within the Tuscarora School district (SW corner of the county). I moved to Mercersburg when I remarried and gained step-daughters, with the agreement we would remain in the district until both had graduated. The schools are a little better than Chambersburg or Greencastle, and the living has a more rural feel. We're still here as empty-nesters as we haven't had a good reason to leave yet.

Chambersburg in particular has a good share of progressives/"equity & inclusion" types, which have a strong influence on the town council. Most towns in Tuscarora School district don't have an official government structure beyond the township level, and here in Mercersburg, the big political issues are if we actually need a *part time* PD that eats up 60% of the entire budget and the shitty service from the town-contracted trash hauler.

Overall, Franklin country is a great place to live, but it definitely has its pockets that would be better suited on the outskirts of Philly or Pittsburgh.

https://www.tsdrockets.org/apps/page...REC_ID=1386338
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

How 'bout Newville?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

If you move out there you'll be really close to Mister Ed's Elephant Museum and Candy Emporium: https://mistereds.com/

It's not nearly as creepy as it seems when you drive by.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Thanks for the information gentlemen. Selling our house took 1 day, finding a house that not an overpriced disaster in our price range right now is proving to be much harder of a task.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Thanks for the information gentlemen. Selling our house took 1 day, finding a house that not an overpriced disaster in our price range right now is proving to be much harder of a task.
    Houses are still selling that quickly? I thought the market was cooling down a bit.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Houses are still selling that quickly? I thought the market was cooling down a bit.
    Yes and no. For the last 48 months houses were selling regardless of location or condition. Most people were waving inspections just to get into something. I bet half of them are regretting that dumb decision. Over the last two months things have cooled down a bit and what we are seeing is a whole lot of poorly maintained homes on the market that are extremely over priced. Most have been sitting a few months with multiple price drops in the $3-$4k range each. They are basically praying some idiot comes in and buys it in a panic and overlooks everything.

When a really great house comes on in excellent condition it goes super fast. We put ours up two weeks ago on a Friday. We had two couples come that day, two the next and two that Sunday. Both couples from the Friday put bids in. The 1st was full price, the 2nd $10k over asking. We purposely listed high since we are in no rush to see what the market is like and it still got over asking. The buyer also agreed to pay up to $30k over appraisal up to the agreed price if it comes back less then listed. They are from PA and wanted some land. Anything with land had a dump of a home on it. This was the 1st one they found that is in move in condition. Inspection was a breeze. I did have to replace the septic pump, and wiring but it was over 20 years old. So that cost me $1500.00 yesterday along with getting the tank pumped.

My brother in law is a realtor on the side in NJ and the market is still in full retard mode. Every house he moves goes between $10,000 to $40,000 over asking and the buyers are paying the difference in appraisal in cash. The areas in WV we are looking are very limited so the house pickings are slim. In some cases they are higher then PA for what you get, however the taxes are next to nothing as compared to here. A kick ass house popped up this morning there so we are headed there tomorrow night. Hopefully this is the one and we don’t end up in a bidding war.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast