Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Cops Turn on Good Guy

Good Guy with a Gun Shuts Down Attacker Without Even Drawing, But Can't Believe It When Cops Turn on Him

https://www.westernjournal.com/good-...eve-cops-turn/

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Cops Turn on Good Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    Good Guy with a Gun Shuts Down Attacker Without Even Drawing, But Can't Believe It When Cops Turn on Him

https://www.westernjournal.com/good-...eve-cops-turn/
    While his actions were honorable and effective, and I believe, as the article states, that the prosecutor should have used his discretion in not bringing charges, maybe the guy should have known if MD and VA had reciprocity before carrying his gun in MD. It would have saved him a lot of trouble.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

His good guy status is questionable at best if he was carrying a firearm in Maryland without a Maryland license to carry. The Supreme court did not rule that national reciprocity was the law of the land.

(Allegheny County)

I think he likely knew it was illegal (given his background), and just didn't care.

He happened to get caught while being heroic, and that generates some sympathy.

But suppose he got caught because he was printing and a cop saw it. Not so sympathetic, for the same act.

The facts of the story make it clear that his carrying was not part of the hero story. He didn't use the gun to defend anyone. It is an independent fact, unrelated to his actions.

I don't think the law is in his favour at all. His attitude makes it clear that he "has a problem" with law as it exists, and he feels entitled (perhaps because of his background) to ignore it. Too bad. I don't like the law either but I'm not gonna carry into MD.

First blush, a jury may be sympathetic but I think a good prosecutor can make his case here.
    Last edited by free; September 5th, 2022 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    His good guy status is questionable at best if he was carrying a firearm in Maryland without a Maryland license to carry. The Supreme court did not rule that national reciprocity was the law of the land.

You don*t have to be perfect and get everything right in life to be a good guy. His action to step in and try to do what he thought was the right thing and make a positive difference here makes him a good guy. He made the mistake thinking that Maryland is reasonable. That does not take away his good guy status. Unfortunately shit like this makes it less likely that the next potential good guy will be a good guy.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    All LTC are violative of the 2A. If the Supreme Court ruled that you should jump off a bridge . . . ?

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I think he likely knew it was illegal, and just didn't care.

He happened to get caught while being heroic, and that generates some sympathy.

But suppose he got caught because he was printing and a cop saw it. Not so sympathetic, for the same act.

The facts of the story make it clear that his carrying was not part of the hero story. He didn't use the gun to defend anyone. It is an independent fact, unrelated to his actions.

I don't think the law is in his favour at all. His attitude makes it clear that he "has a problem" with law as it exists, and he feels entitled (perhaps because of his background) to ignore it. Too bad. I don't like the law either but I'm not gonna carry into MD.

First blush, a jury may be sympathetic but I think a good prosecutor can make his case here.
    You don't have a problem with the "law"?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    You don't have a problem with the "law"?
    If you bother to read my post you quoted, the answer to your question would plainly reveal itself.

(Bucks County)

maybe the guy should have known if MD and VA had reciprocity before carrying his gun in MD. It would have saved him a lot of trouble.
    Maybe the guy should be covered by the United States Constitution, 2nd amendment.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Maybe the guy should be covered by the United States Constitution, 2nd amendment.
    I don't disagree, but that's not how it works currently. So he has a lot of trouble to deal with.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast