Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Budget red dots: best bang for the buck open “reflex” type?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Those dont seem too bad for tube type*

My biggest thing is i tend to close one eye when shooting these types. Force of habit, and im sure i could train myself not to do it*but the open type *reflex* sights feel more natural to me. Point, shoot, repeat. Much faster for me to find the dot
    PSA has some red dots with a larger diameter tube.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    PSA has some red dots with a larger diameter tube.
    Compact is the goal…keep in mind its going on an 8” 300blk takedown sidefolder that’ll primarily be an under the seat truck gun/hog hunter. Think GAU-5A style with sidefold and sba4 (btw, thanks for suggestion on muzzle device, this PWS Evolve is fantastic)

(Franklin County)

Thanks Jay i had hands on a 407c and a 512 at the LGS, but cant bring myself to pull the trigger on one*even with shake awake and solar. One of them was $380 also lol*

Looking for $100 price range give or take. Sightmark is definitely not on my radar, i played with one at gun show and put it down immediately. Not impressed.

How about the Vortex dots? I had a viper for awhile but the window was too damn small so dot acquisition was difficult on the fly. But overall i*ve had good experience with their stuff and wouldnt hesitate to buy them again.
    The 407 can be had around $100. You don't need solar anyway, it's really not worth it, especially with 50000 hour battery life and sleep/shake awake.
    Ive got a 407 and a 510. I don't use the solar mode on the 510, it's never the right brightness. I think ive had them for 6 years and changed batteries once (they didn't need it) just because they are on HD guns and I.leave them on all the time. If you just want solar for back-up encase something strange happens with the battery (????), I highly recommend the 510. If you are looking for something quick, the big screen on the 510 is the way to go. I have developed a slight astigmatism so red dots aren't as clear as they should be, but for some reason the circle dot in the 510 is good and sharp, maybe because of the emitter angle or something, I don't know.
    I can also recommend the Sig Romeo5. Pretty much the same as a 407 with a better name but without the circle reticle.
    Any major red dot manufacturer who doesn't have shake awake in their red dot by now is asleep at the wheel, I don't care how many hours the battery is good for, it can't be good for the emitter and electronics to keep humming non stop for years without a break.
    Last edited by ray h; September 10th, 2022 at 12:40 AM.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Those dont seem too bad for tube type*

My biggest thing is i tend to close one eye when shooting these types. Force of habit, and im sure i could train myself not to do it*but the open type *reflex* sights feel more natural to me. Point, shoot, repeat. Much faster for me to find the dot

I may just save up and buy an EOtech used at some point*or cheap out and buy the fleabay knockoff ones for $75 **
    I traded in my Eotech back in 2016 when they had their buyback, I wish I hadn't but I was kind of upset about what they did and red dots were coming down in price, I bought two red dots Holosun 407 and 510 with the money Eotech gave me. They have been 100% but I've noticed a bit of an astigmatism lately so the 407 is kind of frustrating for me, the 510 looks fine.
    Long story short, I just ordered an Eotech 512, battery life and no shake awake is going to suck but at least I'll be able to see it clearly.
    Someone in the classifieds has an Eotech 512 for sale right now. You may be able to work a deal on that and save some $$$. Although the 512 does take up a lot of real estate.
    The Hostler

(Delaware County)

You can get a Romeo Zero for about $140 or a Fastfire III for about $180. That*s about as budget as I can recommend.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I traded in my Eotech back in 2016 when they had their buyback, I wish I hadn't but I was kind of upset about what they did and red dots were coming down in price, I bought two red dots Holosun 407 and 510 with the money Eotech gave me. They have been 100% but I've noticed a bit of an astigmatism lately so the 407 is kind of frustrating for me, the 510 looks fine.
    Long story short, I just ordered an Eotech 512, battery life and no shake awake is going to suck but at least I'll be able to see it clearly.
    Someone in the classifieds has an Eotech 512 for sale right now. You may be able to work a deal on that and save some $$$. Although the 512 does take up a lot of real estate.
    My astigmatism is pretty severe. I have an EOTECH on my 9mm AR and a friend has a Holosun 510 on his Scorpion. Both are clear to me. I have the Fastfire III in 8 MOA. At arms length on a pistol I see a round dot. I have used several different dots on rifles, the FF, a Romeo 5, CMORE Railway and a few more. The closer to my eye they get, the more of a smear the dot becomes.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/riton-mpr...nny-mount.html. I have one of these mounted on a xd and it's holding up fine if you are wanting a micro dot. I'm switching all my dots out with primary arms acss prisim scopes , they are more clear with my astigmatism.

(Allegheny County)

https://holosun.com/products/red-dot...e503cu-gr.html

This 503 has been an excellent budget AR dot for me. I’m upgrading to better soon, but wouldn’t hesitate to put this one on another rifle with a similar use-case.

(Allegheny County)

Anyone tried the Viridian RFX series?

Thinking of trying out the tiny RFX11 as a super-budget option just cause I’m curious about a greenie…

(Lawrence County)

Romeo 5 off the jungle river website.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast