Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Are Pistol Caliber Carbines Useless?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I presently have a Colt Police Positive and a Win 1892(rifle length barrel though), both in .32-20. They were my grandfather's and dad's, respectively.

Back in the early 1990's to mid 2000's I had a S&W 459 & Marlin Camp 9, and a 1911 & Marlin Camp 45 - each handgun/rifle combo used the same magazines. Of these 4 guns, I only have the 1911 today. ...I was really stupid for letting both Camp carbines go.
    Oh man! the family of Winchester calibers like .32-20, .25-20 were outstanding performers for their day! And the guns that shot them GREAT! The Win 92, even the current Japanese made models are just sweet! The Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm and .45 ACP were keepers too! Wish they were still made!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Tioga County)

I think PCCs are a lot of fun and are adequate for personal defense.

Action shooting sports seem to be on the wane here in PA and matches seem to be not as common anymore, IDPA vs. USPSA vs. Practical Pistol/etc. seems to have diluted things a bit. I think I have only done one match since Covid. If I competed again, I'd want to do USPSA with a PCC.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I think PCCs are a lot of fun and are adequate for personal defense.

Action shooting sports seem to be on the wane here in PA and matches seem to be not as common anymore, IDPA vs. USPSA vs. Practical Pistol/etc. seems to have diluted things a bit. I think I have only done one match since Covid. If I competed again, I'd want to do USPSA with a PCC.
    Funny thing about that! My little club matches got away from IDPA when they changed the rules and required more match staff than we could supply. Thus we've been running our own brand of "action pistol" matches. PCCs are at least equal in number to the handgun competitors!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Chester County)

I just added my backpacked Sub2000 in .40 S&W to my HD arsenal, out of the safe and into the bedroom. According to the ballistics charts that I checked, most 180 gr. standard pressure .40 S&W ammo runs just sub-sonic out of a 16" barrel. A 22 round OEM mag and 4 - 15 rounders to back it up should be enough, along with my Dagger & side-saddled Win. 1200, to get me to my safe and plenty more firepower. No kids and dog doesn't have opposable thumbs.

I recently handled the new side folding Smith and Wesson FPC and could see one in the safe in the future. It felt like a handy piece. I have a few projects to complete and a Colt Python to add to the safe first. I have an AR lower to build and decide what is going on top. I'm thinking something useless like 450 Bushmaster. My eyes are finally at the point where I need a good scope capable of handling 405 grain cast Buffalo Bore .45-70s on top of the 1895G. At least those are my 2024 gun goals.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Funny thing about that! My little club matches got away from IDPA when they changed the rules and required more match staff than we could supply. Thus we've been running our own brand of "action pistol" matches. PCCs are at least equal in number to the handgun competitors!
    Yes the main club I went to seems to have ditched IDPA all together and still does USPSA and something called "practical pistol". IDPA just became so obsessed with being "fair" and got bogged in so many rules it turned into you put your left foot in, you put your left foot out, you retain that magazine and you spin yourself about. Every stage turned into an obsession with the process rather than the result and I'd be in there shooting a stage going ok I gotta do this, then that, can't put my foot here, gotta hold on to the magazine(magazine retention is mostly retarded for self defense situations in the USA, IMO), shoot 2 rounds on this target, 3 rounds on that one, 1 on this one, etc. It detracted from the actual shooting sport.

USPSA adopting PCC I think was good as PCCs for me anyways are fun to shoot and if one has shot pistol for years and is a bit bored with it, PCC is a good way to change it up.

(Allegheny County)

By "PPC" are you talking actual carbines, or short barreled rifles/pistols/sub guns?
    Last edited by Emptymag; October 12th, 2023 at 01:04 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    By "PPC" are you talking actual carbines, or short barreled rifles/pistols/sub guns?
    I think the carbines are kinda useless but they serve a purpose if you want something to shoot at the range that*s cheaper vs. a rifle caliber.

Now the SBR*s and subguns are a whole different story, much more useful for a defense gun for their size alone, and if you*re fortunate enough to have a full auto, even better.
    Today was a good day!

(Chester County)

Useless? For a useless concept they have been around for a VERY long time and remain a strong seller. Even out in the old wild wild west of yesteryear they had their place as they do today.
    The question isn't so much, is it useless, but rather do YOU PERSONALLY have a use for one?
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Bucks County)

After watching TFB video on the MX4.... I have recently fallen back in love with the CX4 platform! I really want to SBR a CX4 in 9mm.... I just bought one of the Surplus City's .40 S&W guns.... And really need another SBR like a hole in the head.... But will likely find one and pay my $200, for my extortion/permission slip.....
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast