Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default May be moving to PA / DE, need advice about LTC

I currently have LTC in Massachusetts and my wife is up for a big promotion that would involve her taking a job with a big hospital near downtown Wilmington, Delaware.

It doesn't look like there's much reciprocity between DE / PA / MD / NJ, and this looks like a problem, since I don't know whether these states issue LTC on a non-resident basis at all or not.

I would appreciate any link to a thread discussing strategies for moving to the area and still maintaining 2nd amendment rights as you cross state borders. It's not the only consideration for picking which side of the state line we'll live on, but it could be an important one. TIA.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: May be moving to PA / DE, need advice about LTC

I think this is the site that gets posted the most when checking reciprocity.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lasitter View Post
    I currently have LTC in Massachusetts and my wife is up for a big promotion that would involve her taking a job with a big hospital near downtown Wilmington, Delaware.

It doesn't look like there's much reciprocity between DE / PA / MD / NJ, and this looks like a problem, since I don't know whether these states issue LTC on a non-resident basis at all or not.

I would appreciate any link to a thread discussing strategies for moving to the area and still maintaining 2nd amendment rights as you cross state borders. It's not the only consideration for picking which side of the state line we'll live on, but it could be an important one. TIA.
    I live in PA and used to live and work very close to the DE border - miss those runs to Total Wine in Claymont. My solution was a PA LTCF and a FL non-resident permit.

(Delaware County)

NJ and MD are no goes. Maybe the recent Supreme Court decision could open up non-resident CC but there have been no reports here of any one getting one yet. PA issues to non-residents that have a permit from their home state.

It's easy for PA residents to get a permit to carry. It's called License To Carry Firearms. Some here are touchy if you call it any thing else. There is no reciprocity between PA and DE. If you get a Utah permit and a PA LTCF you can carry in DE. DE resident permit is a little more work to get. The handgun law site DK23 referenced will give you the details.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Berks County)

NJ is pretty much out of the question, MD has recently begun accepting apps from PA licensed carriers but it's a circus act to get it. PA LTCF (license to carry firearms) is has a lot of reciprocity across the country but not in DE. I can't tell you anything about getting a DE license if you live there and if you get one there, you probably have to get a PA LTCF, which would not be hard to get, even with your current MA license. PA issues to out-of-state license holders through county offices and any county should process it for you but since the deadly chirus has wiped out half of our population, they have all gotten weird about it. Berks County used to be easy/easiest but you should call around and see what they tell you. PA residents still have to get another state's license to get DE reciprocity. FL, UT and AZ are popular candidates and they all have some hoops to jump through. I got UT.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Jefferson County)

DE has a better tax climate, but PA has a better gun climate.

There will never be reciprocity between PA & DE, or PA & NJ, PA & MD. PA has the loosest standards for carry license/permits. NJ and MD have no reciprocity built into their law. And DE requires training, so fuck that.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    I live in PA and used to live and work very close to the DE border - miss those runs to Total Wine in Claymont. My solution was a PA LTCF and a FL non-resident permit.
    ^^^this^^^ I had my Florida non-res specifically for when we went to Delaware.

I have a Utah license for when I go into Delaware. Delaware is also an open carry state. You can open carry without a ltcf. You can carry in a car but there might be a stipulation like the gun has to be visible. . In Pa you can not carry in a car unless you have a ltcf or are engaged in one of the exceptions.

So you can live in Pa get a ltcf and then open carry in Delaware or get another permit like Florida or Utah to carry concealed in both.

It is easy to do some research before posting a new worn out thread........

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    It is easy to do some research before posting a new worn out thread........
    And then the forum dies and everyone is stuck with information / viewpoints from 2011.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast