Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: May be moving to PA / DE, need advice about LTC

Move to PA, enjoy tax reciprocity with DE, get your PA LTCF(ccw permit), take a 4 hour course and pay <$200 for a UT, AZ, or FL ccw, since all 3 states share reciprocity with DE. Look in Landenberg, PA for a home, just across the stateline from DE and an easy commute to Christiana hospital. Landenberg is a nice "bedroom" community next to New Castle Co., DE with rolling countryside, nice homes and peace and quiet. Good luck!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    It is easy to do some research before posting a new worn out thread........
    New member with a new thread could get more attention that reviving an old thread too. Besides, it's beats the shit out of a stupid thread with an even more idiotic title, which we see too often.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    I have a Utah license for when I go into Delaware. Delaware is also an open carry state. You can open carry without a ltcf. You can carry in a car but there might be a stipulation like the gun has to be visible. . In Pa you can not carry in a car unless you have a ltcf or are engaged in one of the exceptions.

So you can live in Pa get a ltcf and then open carry in Delaware or get another permit like Florida or Utah to carry concealed in both.
    So, if you could live on either side of the DE / PA border, and wanted to carry in both, living in which state gives you the most possibilities / easiest carry across state lines?

Ultimately the house will make the decision for us, but I really appreciate all this feedback!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lasitter View Post
    So, if you could live on either side of the DE / PA border, and wanted to carry in both, living in which state gives you the most possibilities / easiest carry across state lines?

Ultimately the house will make the decision for us, but I really appreciate all this feedback!
    Neither recognizes the other, so some sort of non-resident permit would be needed. As mentioned earlier, PA is more gun friendly, so I would lean to living in PA, but close enough to hop the border for tax free shopping.

This outfit has courses for Utah and Arizona non-resident permits that meets those states' requirements: https://mylegalheat.com/classes/

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Neither recognizes the other, so some sort of non-resident permit would be needed. As mentioned earlier, PA is more gun friendly, so I would lean to living in PA, but close enough to hop the border for tax free shopping.

This outfit has courses for Utah and Arizona non-resident permits that meets those states' requirements: https://mylegalheat.com/classes/
    PA if carrying is something you'd do regularly. PA license to carry is easy to obtain and cheap compared to a lot of states (including Delaware). If you're former military, Florida will issue you a non-res with your dd214 as proof of training, otherwise, you can take a class for that, Utah, or Arizona and gain Delaware all done online/thru the mail.

(Bucks County)

If the plan is to live in PA and shop in DE, pay in cash and avoid giving name and PA address. PA has a use tax (same a$ $ale$). It monitors DE purchases by Pennsylvanians and assesses, initially by USPS notice.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Depends I think living in Pa and crossing to Delaware is the easiest.

1. A ltcf is much easier to get in Pa. Pa is a Shall issue state. Maryland is a May issue state. In Pa you fill out the application, Pay the $20 fee, get a picture, get okayed and pick up your ltcf. Depending on where you live it normally takes 15 minutes to a month. You can then open carry in Delaware. Or get a Utah/Florida etc. license. A Utah/Florida is extra steps/money but still easier than getting a Delaware ccw.

In Delaware you have to do the following to get a Delaware ccw. And then you would still have to get a Pa ltcf or a Utah/Florida/ etc.. anyway.

How Do I Get a Concealed Handgun Permit in Delaware? https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...t-in-delaware/

Step 1: Download and complete the application. You can take your training class before you submit your application or wait until your application is approved, at which point you have 90 days to submit your training certificate.

Step 2: Arrange with a newspaper of general circulation in your county to have your application published once, at least 10 business days before the filing of your application with the court. Obtain an affidavit from the newspaper company stating that this requirement has been met and attach it to your application. Note: Selected newspaper must have a circulation of at least 35 percent of the population in your zip code. Be sure to use your whole name * no initials * and your home address.

Step 3: Arrange to be fingerprinted by the State Bureau of Identification (SBI) within 45 days of filing an application. Fingerprinting by appointment only. Call the SBI at (302) 739-2528 and you will be given the address of the Delaware State Police Troop to report to at the time you are given an appointment. You may want to verify payment methods at the time you schedule your interview.

Step 4: Have the reference questionnaires completed by 5 citizens from the county in which you reside who are not related to you and who have known you for at least 1 year.

Step 5: Take the completed and notarized application to the prothonotary office, or mail it to the prothonotary office in the county in which you reside. You will need to include the following:

The original set of fingerprints and a complete copy of all the documents
    Two passport-style photographs taken within the preceding 6-month period
    The filing fee
    Step 6: If your application is approved, you must now complete an approved gun course within 90 days. If you cannot complete the course within 90 days of the approval of your gun license, submit proof that you have enrolled in the course.

Step 7: Submit an original, notarized certification of satisfactory completion of the firearms training course. Please note that if a certification or proof of enrollment is not filed with the court within 90 days of the approval of your gun license, they will assume you no longer want to obtain a gun license. In order to obtain a gun license, you will have to start the process over.

Your license will be issue

On top of the above, Delaware has been passing Firearm legislation including mag limits and no more *assault weapons*. Pa is not there yet.

Step 4: Have the reference questionnaires completed by 5 citizens from the county in which you reside who are not related to you and who have known you for at least 1 year.
    Thanks for the detailed response!

Having never lived in PA or DE, I think I might have a problem coming up with a list of shills that would vouch for me ...

I do have my DD214, so Florida would be part of the solution.

(Montgomery County)

Depends I think living in Pa and crossing to Delaware is the easiest.

1. A ltcf is much easier to get in Pa. Pa is a Shall issue state. Maryland is a May issue state. In Pa you fill out the application, Pay the $20 fee, get a picture, get okayed and pick up your ltcf. Depending on where you live it normally takes 15 minutes to a month. You can then open carry in Delaware. Or get a Utah/Florida etc. license. A Utah/Florida is extra steps/money but still easier than getting a Delaware ccw.

In Delaware you have to do the following to get a Delaware ccw. And then you would still have to get a Pa ltcf or a Utah/Florida/ etc.. anyway.

How Do I Get a Concealed Handgun Permit in Delaware? https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...t-in-delaware/

Step 1: Download and complete the application. You can take your training class before you submit your application or wait until your application is approved, at which point you have 90 days to submit your training certificate.

Step 2: Arrange with a newspaper of general circulation in your county to have your application published once, at least 10 business days before the filing of your application with the court. Obtain an affidavit from the newspaper company stating that this requirement has been met and attach it to your application. Note: Selected newspaper must have a circulation of at least 35 percent of the population in your zip code. Be sure to use your whole name * no initials * and your home address.

Step 3: Arrange to be fingerprinted by the State Bureau of Identification (SBI) within 45 days of filing an application. Fingerprinting by appointment only. Call the SBI at (302) 739-2528 and you will be given the address of the Delaware State Police Troop to report to at the time you are given an appointment. You may want to verify payment methods at the time you schedule your interview.

Step 5: Take the completed and notarized application to the prothonotary office, or mail it to the prothonotary office in the county in which you reside. You will need to include the following:

The original set of fingerprints and a complete copy of all the documents
    Two passport-style photographs taken within the preceding 6-month period
    The filing fee
    Step 6: If your application is approved, you must now complete an approved gun course within 90 days. If you cannot complete the course within 90 days of the approval of your gun license, submit proof that you have enrolled in the course.

Step 7: Submit an original, notarized certification of satisfactory completion of the firearms training course. Please note that if a certification or proof of enrollment is not filed with the court within 90 days of the approval of your gun license, they will assume you no longer want to obtain a gun license. In order to obtain a gun license, you will have to start the process over.

Your license will be issue

On top of the above, Delaware has been passing Firearm legislation including mag limits and no more *assault weapons*. Pa is not there yet.
    Step 2 seems a little outdated. How many newspapers have a 35% circulation nowadays?

Step 4 would be tough for anyone moving into DE or even within DE into a different county.

I'm surprised no one tried to get these removed.

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    Step 2 seems a little outdated. How many newspapers have a 35% circulation nowadays?

Step 4 would be tough for anyone moving into DE or even within DE into a different county.

I'm surprised no one tried to get these removed.
    Looking at the Delaware government site, the rules were revised to the above in September 2021. It also lists approved circulations to use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast