Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Completely unnoficial, unscientific review of Streak Ammo

So I have heard of the Streak Ammo for a while now - https://ammoinc.com/product-category...ak-ammunition/

STREAK’s exclusive patented technology allows the shooter to visually see the projectile’s path toward its target. STREAK rounds are nonincendiary. They do not generate heat so they are safe to use in environments where tracers are prohibited and can become a serious fire hazard. The results are game-changing in many aspects for the consumer, law enforcement, and military. For indoor range use and low light shooting.
    Seemed kinda gimmicky, but I like shooting, so I kinda always wanted to try it. y

It's been pretty pricy, to me, so I never got any. 9mm goes for $15 to $20/box for 20 rounds, Recently, Rural King had it for $10 a box. I was completely out of 9mm, so I figured, why not? Got 2 boxes of it. $20 for 40 rounds, not too far off what I am paying for a 50 round box right now.

Had some extra time off yesterday during the day, so I ran to my local gun club. I figured there wouldn't be anyone there. We are allowed to play around with lighting (shut off all or some lights on the range) so I figured it would be a good opportunity to try it. Unfortunately, they don't allow video or photograph (without express, written permission) so I couldn't get any footage of it in action.

As I said, I was shotting the 9mm. They sell it in 1115 or 125 grain. I had the 124. From their site

BALLISTICS
    - BARREL LENGTH (inches) 4"
    CALIBER 9MM DESCRIPTION STREAK 9mm 115 gr
    PART # 9115TMC-STRK-RED
    WEIGHT (grains) 115 gr
    MUZZLE VELOCITY (feet per second) 1124 fps.
    50 YARD VELOCITY (feet per second) 1063 fps.
    MUZZLE ENERGY (foot pounds) 327 ft. lbs.
    50 YARD ENERGY (foot pounds) 289 ft. lbs.

I was shooting my new Hellcat Pro, which has a 3.7 inch barrel. Full disclosure, this was only my 2nd time shooting the Hellcat.

I first shot for accuracy. Wanted to check it's groupings. Set my target at 15 feet. 8 1/2 x 111 targeted with 1 in square grids.

I shot (or attempted to) three, 3 shot groups. I used some type of wooden rest we had at the club. Basically, just something that supported the barrel. I bent down and took a good grip. Took my time shooting. For my first group, I was aiming at the bullseye. Looks like just over an inch grouping. Second grouping was aiming below the bull. About a one inch group, with shots 1 and 2 touching. 3rd "group", I have no idea what happened. I was aiming for the top right of the grid. Shots 1 and 3 are 3 inches apart, and 2 ws a complete miss. My target backer was used, but I believe that missed shot hit just right of the target, close to shot 3. My target (backer and all) did fall of the hanger while I was putting it back out after circling the second grouping, and I had to go out and rehang it, but I don't think this really had any effect. So, while only at 15 feet, the first 2 groupings weren't bad.

Now, as far as the whole point of the ammo, the being able to see the bullet's path.... well, I would call that a failure. I put out another target at 30 feet. I turned out almost all of the lights on the range, except at the far end. If you've done the math, I had 11 rounds left. I didn't grab a picrue of that target as I wasn't really shooting for accuracy, but just to see how the whole "streak" thing worked. I would say...it didn't. Maybe it needed to be darker, or maybe it needed to be a further distance. I do have one more box left, so next time I hit the range I will shoot a little further (my range has a max distance of 45 feet) and I will turn off all lights. I definitely didn't see any streak whatsoever. All I could see is what resembled a muzzle flash. But it really wasn't a fiery flash, but what I can only describe as a red LED explosion.

So, all in all, I still got to go shooting. I would definitely not buy this ammo at full price. They do make a hollow point as well, for the same price, so that might be something I would consider as it it spot on with other hollow point ammo. I have no idea of the effectiveness of it though. I might possibly consider it if I could get it for this price again, and it was all the ammo I could find. It was an interesting experience, and worth the price of admission, but nothing I would rush out to do again.

Default Re: Completely unnoficial, unscientific review of Streak Ammo

Ive seen a ton of videos on them, it looks like a waste of money. I bought 100rnds of uzi 9mm tracers and popped the primers out,
    and reloaded with softer primers. Probably pretty good at night, but at dusk they were like the streak rounds, but lasted a lot longer.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Never heard of it.
    Are you sure that low light helps? Looks like it just has red paint on the base of the bullet. Maybe it needs light to be seen?
    Too lazy to look it up.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Never heard of it.
    Are you sure that low light helps? Looks like it just has red paint on the base of the bullet. Maybe it needs light to be seen?
    Too lazy to look it up.
    Its a chemical that reacts with the lit powder, it doesn't last long though.
    FJB

(Berks County)

Never heard of it.
    Too lazy to look it up.
    Ask Streaker about it.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Never heard of it.
    Too lazy to look it up.
    From their site

Unique patented STREAK technology features a luminescent dot on the rear of the bullet. When fired, the muzzle flash illuminates this dot, providing the user with a tracer-like glowing bullet path.

(Chester County)

My gun club doesn't permit tracers due to fire hazard. Do these have an incendiary effect or just glow?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    My gun club doesn't permit tracers due to fire hazard. Do these have an incendiary effect or just glow?
    Just glow.

(Delaware County)

Wish I'd seen this before I bought 3 cases (600rnds) of this crap. No trace in bright sunshine or late afternoon shade. That was from two 9MM handguns and an MP5 subgun. The vendor says, "not their problem" and that I should try the manufacturer. Sounds like $300 in the shitter to me...

Bob D

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    From their site

Unique patented STREAK technology features a luminescent dot on the rear of the bullet. When fired, the muzzle flash illuminates this dot, providing the user with a tracer-like glowing bullet path.
    sounds an aweful lot like luminescent paint.
    wonder how they got it to hold up to the heat.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast