Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Hi-Power vs. SA35 vs. 1911 Ronin in 9mm

I have used a Hi-Power for my primary CCW for years and really like it. My Hi-Power is manufactured by FN & was a Israeli military surplus pistol (really wish I would have bought a couple more). How would the Springfield Armory SA-35 compare to the Hi-Power. I assume that it is an exact copy so it comes down to quality. Hopefully they have eliminated the silly magazine safety, but that is simple enough to do at home. In addition, how does the Hi-Power compare to a 1911 such as a Springfield Ronin. Off the bat I know that the magazine capacity is down to 9 rounds.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Hi-Power vs. SA35 vs. 1911 Ronin in 9mm

SA35 does not have a mag safety.

No experience with a Springfield Ronin, but size and weight wise the SA35 compares well with my steel-framed Dan Wesson 1911 Valor Bob, except for being a bit wider in the grip, and having higher mag capacity (15 vs 9) than the DW. The DW is about 1/4" shorter in length of slide despite having a 5" barrel.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Philadelphia County)

I own a SAI Ronin LW Carry in 9mm. The sights are easy to see through, but the fiber front sight brings along questions of durability, I'd rather it was a three dot or if the fiber rod was a brass dot. The thin grips are a personal preference and I'd rather have normal size grips, but they're not too bad. Because it is an aluminum frame, Springfield decided to cerakote or duracoat the frame. The guy doing it that day wasn't paying attention I'm guessing and it scratches easily on my example. Debating on whether or not just to leave it as is or to strip off the paint and refinish it with Alumahyde. It does shoot very nicely, it is nice and light for carry, and the trigger is good.

(Susquehanna County)

Keep your Hi power!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Keep your Hi power!
    I did have a Turkish made EAA hi power clone in my hand the other day, it was very tempting.

(Bucks County)

I just bought one of the Grisan Turkish Hi-powers (475 Frogbacks at Tanners!), I also have a FN and a FM *Detective* (sorta a commander Hi-Power.), and have owned several other clones over the years*.. I would put the Grisan up against the Springfield as a carry gun all day long*. I do have to admit*. The Springer is prettier! The Grisan is $200-$300 less*. So it depends what you are looking for!

I also picked up an SDS 1911 in 9mm*. Because*. Well I could!
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

I want the Match version of the Girsan MC P35. Don't need the rail of the OPS version, just want the beavertail.

(Bucks County)

That beavertail is badass*. My only bitch about the HP is the damn hammer bite*. I have even relieved a couple of hammers under the *spur* with a dremel sanding drum*. Works well and solves the problem*.. never understood why JMB or the gent from FN didn*t design them that way*..
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have used a Hi-Power for my primary CCW for years and really like it. My Hi-Power is manufactured by FN & was a Israeli military surplus pistol (really wish I would have bought a couple more). How would the Springfield Armory SA-35 compare to the Hi-Power. I assume that it is an exact copy so it comes down to quality. Hopefully they have eliminated the silly magazine safety, but that is simple enough to do at home. In addition, how does the Hi-Power compare to a 1911 such as a Springfield Ronin. Off the bat I know that the magazine capacity is down to 9 rounds.
    I own two Hi-Powers and two 1911s.

I really like the Hi-Power. Very well behaved firearm.

What do you want out of a CC handgun? My daily driver is a 38 snubbie. I wanted a concealability versus power.

If you want a small 9mm there are lots of them out there.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Keep your Hi power!
    Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    I did have a Turkish made EAA hi power clone in my hand the other day, it was very tempting.
    They got a scratchy trigger but on the whole, it's a good investment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast