Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 9mm vs. 380 for women's CCW gun

She already has purchased the gun. Agree that she should not carry until she gets a lot of practice and confidence in it. At this point she agrees that she is not ready to carry. If this is not the right gun for her, she can always just purchase another one - not that big of a deal. She is not even sure if she will carry on her person, or in a purse.

If purse carry, I would personally recommend a small (not light) revolver such a round grip S&W 66 w/ a 3" barrel. I think the simplicity and versatility of a double action revolver is hard to beat. She could start with standard 38 spl. & graduate to +P.

(Westmoreland County)

She already has purchased the gun. Agree that she should not carry until she gets a lot of practice and confidence in it. At this point she agrees that she is not ready to carry. If this is not the right gun for her, she can always just purchase another one - not that big of a deal. She is not even sure if she will carry on her person, or in a purse.

If purse carry, I would personally recommend a small (not light) revolver such a round grip S&W 66 w/ a 3" barrel. I think the simplicity and versatility of a double action revolver is hard to beat. She could start with standard 38 spl. & graduate to +P.

(Lawrence County)

Yeah, that's always a tough one. As far as recoil, a 9mm is 9x19mm and a .380 is 9x17mm, so there isn't much difference there. The big difference is the size of the gun! My wife carries a SCCY 9mm. She also carries a Canik TP9sfx. She likes to shoot the Canik more but carries the SCCY more often. Small guns can be difficult to shoot. And because there isn't much weight with a small gun, you get a lot more felt recoil. They squeeze a .380 in some tiny guns, and that's what usually turns people off from shooting them. If you won't shoot it, how proficient will you become with it?

Price is another factor. 9mm is way cheaper than .380 because more people buy 9mm than .380 and they don't want to change settings on machines too often to make a ton of ammo most people don't buy all that often.

But since she has the gun, the only thing she can do now is shoot it. Then shoot it some more. And pray she doesn't get her hands on a full sized 9mm or .40S&W because that husband is going to lose that gun and the .380 will become a BUG lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Franklin County)

I carry and shoot both 9mm and 380. Generally speaking 380 guns are lighter than 9mm guns, along with smaller 380 grip means the felt recoil is going to be similar for both. recoil really depends on the gun more than the chambering.
    I think a bigger consideration is can she operate the gun, particularly racking the slide? My wife has trouble racking my Glock26 but can easily rack my Glock42. The 26 is also heavy for her to hold after a few minutes while the 42 isn't.
    The Hostler

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have a friend who just started carrying and his wife is thinking about it (but is not carrying yet). Neither one of them are that familiar with guns. He got her a 380 M&P Shield. Is 9mm recoil that much worse for new shooters (especially women)? I know that defense ammo has really improved, but still would be much more comfortable w/ a 9mm over a 380. I know that it is about placement, but even so...
    It depends on the .380 and the 9 mm. Those little pocket 380s like the LCP are pretty snappy, and hard to rack also. And if you are going to get a bigger 380, you might as well get a 9 mm.

(Montgomery County)

I call my LCP the "noisy cricket". My wife refuses to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The felt recoil and overall ability to manage it has far more to do with the type/size of handgun than the caliber.

A small .380 can be brutal, while a mid-size or large 9mm can be a pleasure to shoot.

It's a little more complex than "three eighty's for the ladies."
    Winner winner chicken dinner...

(Bucks County)

My 6-oz KelTec P3AT is snappy and not fun to shoot but I can't say it hurts. My Walther PP, all steel and more weighty, does hurt. Weird.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lehigh County)

so we on the same page:

380 auto and 9mm ammunition are all the same caliber. (Caliber is the size of the projectile, or bullet.) The different names are for marketing reasons or because of where the cartridge was developed.Feb 18, 2016

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by caribstv View Post
    so we on the same page:

380 auto and 9mm ammunition are all the same caliber. (Caliber is the size of the projectile, or bullet.) The different names are for marketing reasons or because of where the cartridge was developed.Feb 18, 2016
    9mm Luger vs 9mm Kurz?
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast