Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Non resident… moving to PA

Hey all…
    I’m a resident of NJ ( yea, I know )
    I was issued my PA LTCF by Perry county. From what I understand, PA license doesn’t distinguish between resident and non resident.
    I’ll be moving to Pike county PA long before my current LTCF expires.
    Do I need to do a change of address with Pike county?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Non resident… moving to PA

Changing your address is not a legal requirement. There are 2 reasons why some suggest voluntarily doing it:

1. So you receive proper notice if it would be revoked for some reason.
    2. So the Sheriff where you now reside knows where to send a renewal application at the end of your current license term.*

*Sending a renewal application is a legal requirement, but some sheriffs don't bother, and others may send a letter and not an actual application.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

What gnbrotz said above.

And, if you do decide to do an address change, you do it with the issuing sheriff, which is Perry County.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    What gnbrotz said above.

And, if you do decide to do an address change, you do it with the issuing sheriff, which is Perry County.
    Your clarification brings up an interesting conundrum. Statute says the power of revocation lies with the "issuing authority", which in this case, could hypothetically be from a different county than one's current county of residence.

So who bears the responsibility of sending the renewal application? Even if Perry sends it out, it must be returned to Pike, since that's the new county of residence. One would think the entire system somehow keeps track of this, and if an address where indeed updated, the record would somehow come up on the radar of Pike county in terms of who is due to receive renewal apps.

I wonder if there's anyone here who had knowledge of that part of the system?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Issuing authority may be PSP, county sheriffs acting as an agent for PSP.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Issuing authority may be PSP, county sheriffs acting as an agent for PSP.

§6109 is replete with references to the "sheriff" as the point of application, issuer, and revocation point of control; all of those affirmative duties are ascribed to the "sheriff".

The few affirmative §6109 duties for the PSP are designing the form of both application and LTCF license, PICS point of contact and maintaining a state central point of record for confirming LTCF validity confirmation for LEO inquiries - said record is based on issuances reported by the "sheriffs".

I would conclude that the "sheriff" (as defined in §6102) is, inter alia, the "issuing authority" and not the PSP.

2.0 DEFINITIONS
    2.1 Issuing Authority * The Government Entity that is authorized to issue a license or permit to carry a firearm in a concealed manner. In Pennsylvania, this Government Entity is the Sheriff of the county in which you reside or if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Police (PBP) to notify the appropriate Issuing Authority when it becomes necessary to request an individual*s License to Carry Firearms (or equivalent) be revoked.
    Last edited by tl_3237; August 21st, 2022 at 06:58 PM.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

Welcome to PA! Is there still time for you to register to vote in the general election? We need you!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Your clarification brings up an interesting conundrum. Statute says the power of revocation lies with the "issuing authority", which in this case, could hypothetically be from a different county than one's current county of residence.

So who bears the responsibility of sending the renewal application? Even if Perry sends it out, it must be returned to Pike, since that's the new county of residence. One would think the entire system somehow keeps track of this, and if an address where indeed updated, the record would somehow come up on the radar of Pike county in terms of who is due to receive renewal apps.

I wonder if there's anyone here who had knowledge of that part of the system?
    Each sheriff sends the renewal notice of their respective licenses that their office has issued, regardless as to where the licensee now resides.

If you look on your LTCF, there is a 2 digit code in the LTCF # - that is the respective county that has issued it. The sheriff(or CoP in Philly) will send out renewal notices only to active licenses with their county number.

For you to have your new county of residence to send you a renewal notice, you first must have a LTCF from that county. ....which is technically legal. You can get a LTCF in present county, move to the other 66 counties in PA within 5yrs of getting the first LTCF, get a LTCF at each new county, and they'd all be legit.

While the LTCF is a state license, each sheriff(or Chief of Police in Philly) is the issuing agent for their respective county/city.

If you remember, back before this quazi-legal address change thing - there was NO way to change the address without revoking your present license. If you were in the same county, it wasn't much of a big deal. However, it left you in a pickle if you moved to a new county because you'd have to apply at your new sheriff. Which is why we here used to tell folks to leave it as is - that they as a person was licensed, not your address.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Lol! Sadly, no… I’m not actually moving until sometime in 2023.
    My LTCF doesn’t expire til 2026.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast