Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: FFL charges for NICS check delay?

I paid 85 to have a shotgun transferred.

Thanks op for the heads up as I'll never use that place.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    The only thing I don't agree with is the research fee - This is 100% out of any buyers control.
    This is the part that bothers me the most. I've always gotten delayed (usually clears up in 2-3 hours, unless its the end of the day, in which case I get approved the next morning), probably because of a common-sounding name. The idea of losing $150 because NICS is backed up is crazy to me.

(Berks County)

It's called a go away price, and if you don't go away then you're going to pay a premium for the service. You see that with a lot of places now not just FFL's. IE - I can get tires cheaper online but then I gotta pay to have them mounted where if you buy at the local shop mounting is included in the price.

I could never understand people buying guns online unless it's a specialty gun that is next to impossible to find in a store. Most of the stuff I see online is damn close to the store cost and by the time you add the fees and hassle it's not even worth the time.
    there is one ffl near me that only does online transfers. charges like 30 bucks for each one. he doesnt order anything for anyone. its a side business for him.

As far as why i would buy online vs at a store because some of the online sites can get something much cheaper due to their volume vs a local store. so even with a transfer/background check fee you come out ahead. one example of a common gun at a ffl near me is something like a canik mete sfx. local dealer has it at msrp of 574.99 but doesnt charge background check if you buy from them. same gun through lockedandloaded is 448.21. insured shipping is 19.99 and no sales tax. even after the background check i still save almost a 100 bucks. granted there are some guns where the savings isnt enough to make it worth it but i always check prices on gun.deals before i buy.

(Bucks County)

I approached proprietor of a LGS and asked them to order a SAA clone from Florida. He said they don't have a business arrangement with them, so no. So I bought the gun online and had it shipped to that LGS. When I went to pick it up, another employee expressed displeasure that I didn't order it through them. I said I tried and was told yiz couldn't do it. This was fifteen or twenty years ago, so online purchases were resented back then.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    they have seem like they really dont want anyones business. the fees seem so high cause they want to punish people who didnt buy directly through them.

i like this note though
    WE DO NOT ACCEPT TRANSFERS OF HI-POINT GUNS OR SIMILAR

these are pretty good too.

i wonder how they determine the value
    They must have a lawyer on retainer. Keeping a firearm can't be legal, for anything.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    They must have a lawyer on retainer. Keeping a firearm can't be legal, for anything.
    That guy knows everything, he don't need no stinkin' lawyer.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Erie County)

It's called a go away price, and if you don't go away then you're going to pay a premium for the service. You see that with a lot of places now not just FFL's. IE - I can get tires cheaper online but then I gotta pay to have them mounted where if you buy at the local shop mounting is included in the price.

I could never understand people buying guns online unless it's a specialty gun that is next to impossible to find in a store. Most of the stuff I see online is damn close to the store cost and by the time you add the fees and hassle it's not even worth the time.
    I don't know where you are buying, but I've never seen a LGS price that was anywhere even close to Bud's, KGC, or several other online stores.

(York County)

I don't get the hate for FFL transfers from LGS's

I understand they won't make a ton of money ON THE TRANSFER

But it's a great way to keep customers in the store and happy. ESPECIALLY with the 3 hours processing delays.

The last gun I bought was direct from another member here. The seller suggested a store near him to do the transfer. I had never heard of the store. The transfer fee was $25 (This was earlier this year by the way, not some ancient story from 1968)

Of course I went into research (every time) so what did I do? I hung out in the store for 3 hours looking at every item on their shelves. I didn't even get cleared by PICS that day. Had to come back the next morning. But I left that store with ammo, a holster, some old military surplus stuff that was cool....all things I probably only bought because I was bored. They ended up making $150 sale off my for stuff AND the guys at the store were cool dudes so I'll go back there the next time I need anything.

They didn't make much off the FFL transfer but they made a decent sale on impulse buys and gained a future customer.

The place where I bought my car is similar. They offered free oil changes for life when I bought the car. I always changed my own oil but free is free. Of course the shop loses money on those free oil changes. But when I needed breaks I took it there and paid the 10% dealer surcharge for my brakes because I had them done with my free oil change. And when I needed a new car or my wife, guess where I bought it?

It's called a loss leader. It's not a new concept. And this FFL from hell in the OP needs to learn how to lure retail customers in. If you don't want to do FFL transfers as a service, then don't do them. But don't be a dick about them. I wouldn't buy an 89 cent pack of foam ear plugs from that store just because they seem like miserable jerks. Their idiotic FFL policy would actively prevent me from shopping for ANYTHING there.
    May the Schwartz Be With You

(Berks County)

does pa have ffl version of a mechanic's lien?

I don't know where you are buying, but I've never seen a LGS price that was anywhere even close to Bud's, KGC, or several other online stores.
    To be fair I don't really shop online for guns much, I generally know what I want to buy. Then I typically search most gun stores with websites in a 100 mile radius of me to see which ones have it in stock and compare prices between them. From there I either order it on their site to reserve if I know it's a hot/new item otherwise I just drive out and go buy it. Most of the shops are within the MSRP and I guess it's just how I prefer to to business.

I'd be a lot more inclined to order and shop online if I could have it shipped to my house directly. To me it just seems like a pita to talk with the shop then order online and coordinate info with another FFL. Then wait 5-7 days for it to come in then I still gotta drive to the shop and pick it up. I'm sure there are probably great deals online if you take the time to look around. When I have taken a little time for stuff I want I haven't found the difference to be that great, maybe at max a $100 cheaper than a local FFL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12