Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Canadian buying firearms in PA

For students going to a university, yes I know what is required. But in this case I would need to know exactly what paperwork he has from the US in his quest to get his permanent residency. If he is able to get a PA in state resident hunting license versus and out of state resident license) then he probably has some kind of paperwork from the INS that says what he is allowed to do while he is waiting for the permanent residency approval. He PM'd me and I'm seeing what I can find out. BTW-IANAL just and FFL who tries to help.

From what I understand from what I have read; If he has a "Green Card" even if it is a conditional card (I think they get that as a "test" period of 2 years then can apply for the "permanent" Green Card). If he has a conditional GC, he should have been given a USCIS # and that would allow him to purchase a PA resident hunting license and also to be able to buy firearms. All the numbers and such have to be put on the 4473 and the SP4-113 if buying a handgun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

I found out that a CR-1 visa is considered a conditional green card, to be used until the premanent resident green card is issued. As such, a person holding a conditional green card will have a USCIS # and should be able to purchase a resident PA hunting license (versus an out of state non resident license) and should be able to purchase firearms. I told him that once he gets his CR-1 issued to call a regional BATFE office and ask. I can bet they won'y know off the top of their heads but they should do their research and let him know. Everything I read about the CR-1 visa is it will allow him to purchase.

Just for peoples info - that type of visa is issued to someone who is married to a US citizen and plans on living permanently in the US with his/her spouse and working in the US. The CR-1 is a good for a set time - and in that time the holder has to apply for permanent US residency - when that is granted, they get the unrestricted card.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlnzz1 View Post
    If anyone knows, would The O.P. TheCyaba poster be able to pass a NICS or PICS inquiry. Not being a US citizen, I would imagine he isn't researchable in the US data search base the Gov, uses. Yes/No ?
    I certainly do not have an exhaustive data set to reference, but the ones that I have seen have not sailed through PICS automated call in, obviously. Referencing an ID type other than the PADL that the system is set up to easily recognize kicks the inquiry to an operator. The last two that I recall, and it has been a couple of years since I observed it, were put into research but within 48 hours they both cleared and were able to pick up the firearm(s).

(Centre County)

If a visa holder has a PA DL, and a USCIS # or a I-94# and has a PA resident hunting license you can submit them through ePICS. Typically they will go PENDING and once the operator queries the INS/DHS and gets the "good to go" answer they will approve it. Most times, I have found, if they are new to the system, the operator will call the FFL and ask if they have a valid PA hunting license. If yes, the operator will tellyou that the approval will be forthcoming and it will then show up in the status log on ePICS. Some times, it will go into RESEARCH and it may take a couple days depending on how the computers are reacting at the INS/DHS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12