Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Phiily Buybacks in 3 years - 1000 guns with 0 traced to crimes

From the Philadelphia Inquirer :

Philadelphia News

Philly buyback events have yielded 1,000 guns in the last three years. None had been used in crimes.

Excerpts:

Yet of the more than 1,000 weapons turned in over the last three years, not a single one has been linked to a crime.

The number of buyback events — and media attention surrounding them — has grown in reaction to the city’s escalating gun violence crisis. But experts on the issue say the lackluster statistics show the events are not effective in reducing crime.

…….

While one analysis of national programs found they could help prevent gun injuries by taking firearms out of circulation, others found little correlation to tangible reductions in gun crime or injuries. One 2013 study of a years-long buyback effort in Buffalo, N.Y., concluded that government officials favored these events more for the public relations value than the impact on street violence.

“Given the empirical evidence,” the authors wrote, “police agencies may use gun buyback programs not with the expectation of reducing violent crime, but to satisfy the public’s expectations

https://www.inquirer.com/news/gun-bu...-20220814.html
    IANAL

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Phiily Buybacks in 3 years - 1000 guns with 0 traced to crimes

Jonathan Wilson, clinical director of the Fatherhood Foundation, a community organization that provides workforce training and mentorship programs, said the events should pay the same amount for a gun that a person could get selling it on the illegal market. That can be $800 to $1,000, he said, depending on the weapon.

Wilson, who has been shot four times and lives in Southwest Philly, said that since systemic poverty is one driver of gun violence, people may turn to buyback programs when they*re in need of funds, and police may see more crime guns get turned in.

I am assuming he has been shot four separate times (but it is possible he was shot 4 times in one shooting incident), so this actually makes him an expert?

The shootings that I see are not driven by systemic poverty. It is a feel good program. I guess they believe it is better than arresting, prosecuting and jailing those using the firearms for illegal purposes.

(Philadelphia County)

Sure if I rob/rape/carjack/assault you at gun point but never fire the gun or get caught then trade it in, it'll never show up as used in a crime. How many of those types of crimes have gone unsolved or unreported.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Jonathan Wilson, clinical director of the Fatherhood Foundation, a community organization that provides workforce training and mentorship programs, said the events should pay the same amount for a gun that a person could get selling it on the illegal market. That can be $800 to $1,000, he said, depending on the weapon.

Wilson, who has been shot four times and lives in Southwest Philly, said that since systemic poverty is one driver of gun violence, people may turn to buyback programs when they*re in need of funds, and police may see more crime guns get turned in.

I am assuming he has been shot four separate times (but it is possible he was shot 4 times in one shooting incident), so this actually makes him an expert?

The shootings that I see are not driven by systemic poverty. It is a feel good program. I guess they believe it is better than arresting, prosecuting and jailing those using the firearms for illegal purposes.
    Systemic poverty is a program designed by democrats to keep people in poverty and keep them voting for democrats. Lyndon Baines Johnson said so himself when they proposed and implemented the "war on poverty and the Great Society". Violent behavior is caused by people that use violence to accomplish their own ends. It's a means used to control others. Letting violent criminals roam the streets to commit more violence is a program designed by democrats to keep the citizens in fear.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

If I was poor and knew I could get $1000/gun, I would be out stealing guns for a living. And most likely while using stolen guns, if necessary.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinPhilly View Post
    Sure if I rob/rape/carjack/assault you at gun point but never fire the gun or get caught then trade it in, it'll never show up as used in a crime. How many of those types of crimes have gone unsolved or unreported.
    Most of the crimes you mention are reported, just not solved. It just goes to show what guns are turned in. Like stated most are found when grand pop dies or some do gooder wants to do their part and turn in their $500 gun for $100 gift card.

It simply is a feel good program for churches and the like.

Guns used in crimes are usually resold and passed along if not confiscated.

PickingPA Guest

Not to worry, the new gun control bill will take care of all that gun crime you speak of

More like a 'designated JHP pin-cushion'.

The question I'd ask is *why* was he shot four times?

hmm-well-now.jpg