Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SGL

(Lawrence County)

Default New SGL

The PGC just bought a track of land, a reclaimed strip mine, about a mile from my house. The mine pretty much just cut off the top of a big hill and made it flat, then dug in the middle. I've driven by and there aren't even any signs saying its an SGL. Just not sure how I would go about scouting it. Take a look and give me some advice lol
    https://imgur.com/gallery/WVfha3F
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Berks County)

Default Re: New SGL

Curious on the process.

Is there an official announcement that they have added that portion to the SGL? If so, could you contact them? Wondering if there's no access until signage is up?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Curious on the process.

Is there an official announcement that they have added that portion to the SGL? If so, could you contact them? Wondering if there's no access until signage is up?
    No idea. The only info I could find on it was an article from Penn Live that mentioned it in January. I was in my county GIS page looking at who owned it and maybe asking permission when I saw it was owned by the PGC. They got it at the end of April last year, for free according to the records. Penn Power owns a little land going through it for the right-of-way wires, but they've never given a hoot if someone hunts there lol

I'll have to take a ride onto the north side of the property, maybe they have a sign up there?

-Chaz

(Allegheny County)

I drove through it last year out of curiosity, it was posted back then. I'd be interested if things had changed since.

(Chester County)

If the state is expanding SGLs then I suppose that is a good thing... and it makes sense to reclaim a decommissioned strip mine for said purpose.

Not sure how I'd feel if the proposed SGL bordered my property though. Probably would depend if I was down range.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I drove through it last year out of curiosity, it was posted back then. I'd be interested if things had changed since.
    They "bought" (more like was given it) in in April. I've just been working so much I haven't had time to check it out other than a quick drive by a few months ago. They probably have a lot of work to do still like marking the trees white on the borders and such. I just don't even know where to begin scouting. I've been at the bottom by the softball field, just never up top because it was always posted. I'll just have to start walking I guess lol

-Chaz

(Bucks County)

If it was given, not sold, you can bet there is some cleanup/remediation needed. Nobody gives up valuable land unless there*s a mess of hazardous shit buried there. Electric companies use some really foul shit in their processes and equipment. The land may be unfit for anything and they just wanted it off their hands. *Let*s give it to the PGC! What better way to get rid of the guns than to give the hunters horrific cancers and stuff?*

(Montgomery County)

It's a new(old) off road riding area.

Rules and regs are still being written up.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    If the state is expanding SGLs then I suppose that is a good thing... and it makes sense to reclaim a decommissioned strip mine for said purpose.

Not sure how I'd feel if the proposed SGL bordered my property though. Probably would depend if I was down range.
    Just because it's a State Game Land, it doesn't have to have a firing range on it. Most SGL don't have a range.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
    Just because it's a State Game Land, it doesn't have to have a firing range on it. Most SGL don't have a range.
    But you can hunt there. That's his point. Crazies on SGL's firing with no regard for what's beyond the target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast