Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Question regarding carry safety in vehicles.

Greetings all,

I've been not so sure about car mounted holsters with a live round in chamber. It's going to be a modern handgun in holster strapped down with trigger covered pointing at a safe direction. The problem is that some of the road here is so bumpy that it concerns me regardless of the relatively safe set up.

Also, due to the way my car seat is, I'd have to move the firearm in/outta holsters (IWB/car). Although I'll be sure to conceal my movements, would I run into "brandishing" issues (PA)?

Do y'all have experiences with this, and/or any recommendations/warnings?

Thanks in advance!
    R

(Chester County)

Default Re: Question regarding carry safety in vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by QSRL View Post
    Greetings all,

I've been not so sure about car mounted holsters with a live round in chamber. It's going to be a modern handgun in holster strapped down with trigger covered pointing at a safe direction. The problem is that some of the road here is so bumpy that it concerns me regardless of the relatively safe set up.

Also, due to the way my car seat is, I'd have to move the firearm in/outta holsters (IWB/car). Although I'll be sure to conceal my movements, would I run into "brandishing" issues (PA)?

Thanks in advance!
    R
    A shoulder holster in a car is much safer in my opinion. There's more chance of having a negligent discharge transferring the gun from holster to holster inside a vehicle. Transferring a gun from a IWB or OWB holster to a shoulder outside of a vehicle in a better controlled environment is preferable in my opinion. I use a shoulder holster on my motorcycle and sometimes driving my car or now pick up truck. You don't have to get all fancy with a premium leather Miami Vice TV show shoulder holster. I use a plain old guide chest holster holster. You can get one that's well made nylon that fits you and your firearm from Diamond D for around a hundred bucks. No, you are not brandishing if someone sees you transferring your gun from one holster to another if your standing outside of your vehicle. If you have a LTCF you have all you need other than being safe in handling the firearm.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(York County)

If your gun will fire due to a bump in the road, you have a shitty gun.or a gun being improperly holstered.

Something with a hair trigger like that should only be on a hammer fired pistol with the hammer fully cocked. And you shouldn't be storing any weapon in a car or 8n an on body holster with the hammer back and safety off.

A striker fired pistol won't have that kind of hair trigger and if a bump can make the trigger pull it is broken. Anything like a Glock that has the physical trigger safety won't fire no matter how much of a bump you hit because the trigger can't be depressed without a finger physically touching it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by QSRL View Post
    Greetings all,

Thanks in advance!
    R
    Have you actually tried to draw from your driver's seat? I realize I'm in the minority but when I carry my 5" 1911 IWB around 3/3:30 the butt just touches the seat bolster and my seat belt passes in front of the whole rig. I can easily draw - and reholster (!) - while buckled in. Worked in my '06 Civic and works in my '12 Colorado.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

(Berks County)

Holsters mounted to vehicles always seemed to me to be a bad idea.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Holsters mounted to vehicles always seemed to me to be a bad idea.
    It's a rob me sign in shitty areas.

(Delaware County)

It's a conversation starter with the police if pulled over.
    Last edited by STBear; August 9th, 2022 at 04:25 PM.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    It's a conversation started with the police if pulled over.
    No worse than having the gun in the glove box with the registration and insurance under it....

(Columbia County)

No such thing as brandishing in PA. If you got a LTCF you are good to go even if your gun does get exposed unless you are on sacred ground such as federal buildings, school property, court houses etc. Of course pointing a gun at someone unjustly will fall another assault type crimes.

I don't know anything about car car mounted holsters for handguns.

(Berks County)

If my passenger's seat is empty in my car, that is where my gun sits. If not, then I push it between my seat and the console. In my truck, I stick it in the door pocket where I can get it quickly. I don't want to be fondling to get it out of a holster in a hurry. And since I'm all legal, I don't care if a lawman sees it and asks.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast