Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Gun belts and IWB

I do not currently have a fancy dedicated steel core full grain rhinoserous hide gun belt with Kryptonite buckles. Mainly because I usually carry a small sub compact IWB and have never felt the need for one. A normal leather belt has worked fine.

Does anyone feel they need one for one when carrying a larger piston IWB?

Or do they really only serve a need with OWB carrying a heavier pistol?

This is one of those things where I don't feel like I need one, but I also don't know what I don't know. But I don't feel like spending $100 just to check if they make a difference.
    May the Schwartz Be With You

Default Re: Gun belts and IWB

I tried just a normal leather belt initially but it felt like it had a lot of sag. I just bought a cheap black gun belt nothing super fancy and have been wearing it for close to two years now. I carry every day and it's starting to loosen up to where I'm probably in the market for another one. Would like to hear inputs on this too since I'm in the market, from what I can tell I'm guessing the cheaper ones just wear out faster if you carry often.

(Allegheny County)

I use a kydex reinforced leather belt almost everyday including when I carry. It's held up OK, but just like the last one I had, the kydex has broken right at the 3-4 o'clock. Doesn't really affect things too much but you can feel it move awkwardly when you take the belt on/off. Probably not long for the world.

When I carry OWB I just use a thick leather belt from Beltman. It's not the most comfortable since it's so stiff (doesn't even have any reinforcement) but it is a tank. I've had it for years.
    F*#K THE ATF

(Delaware County)

IWB I have used a belt that is a little heavier than just a normal belt. Normally carrying a P365. If I am carrying P320 compact IWB or just about anything OWB, I use a Hank's gun belt. Sturdy but not real stiff. Just leather . No steel or nylon plastic core. Looks go and no sag. Made in USA and 100 year warranty.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Allegheny County)

I use a dickies leather work belt. The one with double row of holes, under $20. Works great. I've also used wimpier belts. I bought a nylon 2" tactical belt years ago. Really uncomfortable and not needed.

Holster and gun combo probably make a big difference. I make my own minimalist kydex holsters and carry a glock 26 or ruger lc9s.

This pic is an old 1 1/4" leather belt I had before the dickies.

Regular leather belt carrying a full size ruger 57. Have not had an issue.

(York County)

So the concensus seems to be that a nice sturdy belt is fine for IWB even for a heavy gun, and a super duel layer reinforced with kevlar and sewn together with Superman's hair is only needed for OWB.

Am I correctly gathering what you all are saying?

Again with my P365 a normal thin $20 leather belt is perfectly fine. It's not even thick leather.

And it seems to hold a thicker heavy Glock 30 IWB as well but I haven't done it much or for days at a time and am curious if it I would immediately say "oh my...this is so obviously better". It sounds like the answer is 'no'. (I have an OWB holster for it too and the thin off the rack belt isn't not sufficient. But I don't OWB.) It sounds like I should try another cheap but thicker work belt first before breaking the bank on a dedicated gun belt.

If I OWB carried it would be different. But I don't.

Thank you all. I am happy to try a $20-$30 experiment more than I am to try a $75 experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    So the concensus seems to be that a nice sturdy belt is fine for IWB even for a heavy gun, and a super duel layer reinforced with kevlar and sewn together with Superman's hair is only needed for OWB.

Am I correctly gathering what you all are saying?

Again with my P365 a normal thin $20 leather belt is perfectly fine. It's not even thick leather.

And it seems to hold a thicker heavy Glock 30 IWB as well but I haven't done it much or for days at a time and am curious if it I would immediately say "oh my...this is so obviously better". It sounds like the answer is 'no'. (I have an OWB holster for it too and the thin off the rack belt isn't not sufficient. But I don't OWB.) It sounds like I should try another cheap but thicker work belt first before breaking the bank on a dedicated gun belt.

If I OWB carried it would be different. But I don't.

Thank you all. I am happy to try a $20-$30 experiment more than I am to try a $75 experiment.
    If I OWB I usually use drop leg or a a separate gun belt that rides higher than my hip so I don't hit it.

(Allegheny County)

As long as it's tight I'd say that's correct. IWB vs OWB shouldn't matter much, my main carry is a Hellcat RDP which is just a hair bigger than the Sig 365. 95% of the time I'm AIWB carrying, 5% of the time I will use my Tulster OWB with it and have no problems. It's actually super comfy (Countour series) but only works if I'm wearing loose shirts since I still like to throw my shirt over it even though it's owb.

I've used the same belt even for my FN LS Edge full size if I'm going out to the range and don't carry about my gun being seen. About a month ago I picked up a velcro style design from the Sportsman Warehouse, it's super stout and I think really made for either competition or OWB. I forget the brand though, I don't actually see myself wearing it day to day.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast