Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Getting into Coyote Hunting

Omen,

My best recommendation is...

...start small.

You don't need elaborate setups to hunt coyotes. A .22 lr/wmr or pump shotgun with not larger than #4 shot is sufficient to start. You don't need a custom coyote AR.

Any camo is good. Just break up your pattern.

You don't need electronic calls. A basic mouse squeeker will suffice for close-in. The squeeker from an old dog toy will work.

Learn what public land around you is huntable. There is a LOT with 30 minutes of you, and coyotes are spread throughout all of it.

Don't worry about what TV shows say. They are all selling something. Just go out and try it. Learn what works and what doesn't. Learn to look for signs (e.g., paw prints, scat in the middle of trails/roads).

Sit and watch the woods. Just when you get bored and feel like moving on, wait 10 more minutes.

Even if you don't call in or see coyotes, the time will not be wasted. I've seen lots of neat stuff. Even had a Cooper's hawk fly in directly over my call speaker. Kept looking down, trying to find the injured rodent.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Omen,

My best recommendation is...

...start small.

You don't need elaborate setups to hunt coyotes. A .22 lr/wmr or pump shotgun with not larger than #4 shot is sufficient to start. You don't need a custom coyote AR.

Any camo is good. Just break up your pattern.

You don't need electronic calls. A basic mouse squeeker will suffice for close-in. The squeeker from an old dog toy will work.

Learn what public land around you is huntable. There is a LOT with 30 minutes of you, and coyotes are spread throughout all of it.

Don't worry about what TV shows say. They are all selling something. Just go out and try it. Learn what works and what doesn't. Learn to look for signs (e.g., paw prints, scat in the middle of trails/roads).

Sit and watch the woods. Just when you get bored and feel like moving on, wait 10 more minutes.

Even if you don't call in or see coyotes, the time will not be wasted. I've seen lots of neat stuff. Even had a Cooper's hawk fly in directly over my call speaker. Kept looking down, trying to find the injured rodent.
    This ^^^

(Monroe County)

sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much! ill have to look into a nice 22 rifle or shotgun as i only have an AR and a mosin. plus hunting ammo for either gun is through the roof. I appreciate the advice! id love to find someone to accompany me in coyote hunting eventually as well to teach me hands on.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by the_omen545 View Post
    sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much! ill have to look into a nice 22 rifle or shotgun as i only have an AR and a mosin. plus hunting ammo for either gun is through the roof. I appreciate the advice! id love to find someone to accompany me in coyote hunting eventually as well to teach me hands on.
    Omen, don't misunderstand me. If you already have an AR, go ahead and use whatcha got to start. A .223 is a wonderful coyote round. I used to use my Mini-14, but I sold it. The point that I was trying to make is, use what you already have or can borrow before you buy a whole new outfit. See if you're going to like it first. Some folks who have never hunted before realize they don't like killing animals once they actually get one. Or, it isn't as exciting as TV makes it seem. There's plenty of days that you'll spend sitting in the cold with nothing going on around you and you asking yourself, "Why am I not home on a warm couch watching Tarzan reruns?"

If you still want some company, give me a PM after Christmas. Winter's the best time to hunt for coyotes, as their pelt is in the best, thickest condition. This time of year now, the pelts are thin and crappy.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

oh yeah i know that an AR-15 is a great weapon for coyote hunting! ill use what i have to see if I really like hunting before i buy anything. I rather be out and about than sitting on my ass all day to be fair. and Ill give you a message after christmas, thank you. also what ammo did you use to hunt coyotes? I know 223/556 but any certain type of brand/round you liked?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by the_omen545 View Post
    I know 223/556 but any certain type of brand/round you liked?
    Winchester VarmintX

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Berks County)

Also two books that been out for a while by a Pa. guy. Master Coyote Hunting and Understanding Coyotes. By Michael Huff. Not bad for a beginner.

(Chester County)

When I lived atthe edge of the California high desert, coyotes were a real problem. The favorite round in my neighborhood was .22 Hornet.

One of my neighbors tried calling them by parking his '68 Road Runner at the end of the paved road and blowing the horn. That didn't work. A $15 mouth call that is supposed to sound like a distressed rabbit works OK.

In the area where I now live, we have to use rimfire. I have a CZ 457 varminter in .22 WMR, and it is my favorite gun for plinking. I hear coyotes, see evidence that they are here, but have only seen one and didn,t have the rifle. My neighbor shot one a while ago, and another neighbor took a shot at one on the run 2 weeks ago but missed.

Good luck and be patient. These eastern coyotes seem to be a bit more cautious than the ones in California.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Bucks County)

These eastern coyotes seem to be a bit more cautious than the ones in California.
    They learn...we are better shots.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Westmoreland County)

Omen, I've hunted coyotes for about 15 years now. I have 2 NV rigs and 2 thermal rigs, all .223 but with my latest thermal I'll be going 22-250. If you're looking for entry level NV the ATN X site hands down can not be beat. My son still uses mine and killed his first Yote with it last year. For thermal, the ATN Thor LT is one of the only relatively decent thermals out there that's cheap.... Which I'd be willing to sell fairly cheap if interested. Without going the cheap route on thermal, you're looking at 2500ish for a decent 384 thermal scope, where the X site NV even though entry level, it's truly superb.... You can pick them up all day for about 500 bucks.

If you're wanting to seriously get into it, PM me a budget and I'll figure you out a decent setup. My setup is by no means the best, top of the line, and there's still about 9 grand of gear with me when I make a set.

But please, please DO NOT hunt yotes with a .22. That's beyond inhumane, they're tough critters. Even a .17 would be a bad choice unless you never shoot beyond 50 yds.... Then you're better off with a 12g using #4 buck.
    If you have an AR, that's a great start even if it has a 16" barrel.... You'll rarely shoot over 300 yards at night. My new thermal currently resides on an 18" AR.... But I prefer a bolt gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast