Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Which is your favorite carry round in 9x19mm?

Quote Originally Posted by captainpizza View Post
    Hello, just a random question, I'm bored.

Which is your favorite round for EDC in 9x19mm?
    I have a few favorites, but I guess I would go with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr, JHP plus P.

My favorite round as far as aesthetics go are, Winchester Silver Tips, because silver bullets are just so cool!
    Same for me. I have some HST also, but gold dots have been my go to for quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    just a random question to your question... (I don't really have a favorite BTW) How often do you replace your carry ammo.. or do you keep the same ammo loaded for years??
    I change out every couple months in general, but I rotate the first round in my mags that gets chambered more frequently. I did a video on "bullet setback" a couple years ago, but it's a real thing and can cause serious issues if you're constantly chambering the same round when loading mags.

(Chester County)

Gold Dot 124+P in the Shield for normal carry. Fed HST 124 in full size gun and Rem Golden Sabre 180 in bedside 40cal. Also keep mags of Golden Sabre and Win Ranger at the ready for my 40cal PCC Ruger.

Ok, why is your name captain pizza?
    FJB

(Wayne County)

How many of you carry a extra mag of same ammo?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    How many of you carry a extra mag of same ammo?
    Federal 124gr HST in my gun and in my spare mag , I actually have all 4 mags loaded with it , although I never carry 3 spare mags I do rotate them and the ammo.

just a random question to your question... (I don't really have a favorite BTW) How often do you replace your carry ammo.. or do you keep the same ammo loaded for years??
    I check on availability as long as I can replace it I'll shoot the 60 rnds every other year .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Wayne County)

SGammo is your friend, do a group buy with some buds.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Same for me. I have some HST also, but gold dots have been my go to for quite a long time.

I change out every couple months in general, but I rotate the first round in my mags that gets chambered more frequently. I did a video on "bullet setback" a couple years ago, but it's a real thing and can cause serious issues if you're constantly chambering the same round when loading mags.
    You can compensate for that by manually placing the first round in the chamber and letting the slide go home at full speed to make sure the extractor engages.

This let's you slowly put the round into the chamber so the bullet doesn't get slammed into the chamber walls as the casing is pushing it forward by the slide.

You still should rotate that round out because eventually the extractor will damage the casing. But it will last a lot longer.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    You can compensate for that by manually placing the first round in the chamber and letting the slide go home at full speed to make sure the extractor engages.

This let's you slowly put the round into the chamber so the bullet doesn't get slammed into the chamber walls as the casing is pushing it forward by the slide.

You still should rotate that round out because eventually the extractor will damage the casing. But it will last a lot longer.
    This shouldn't be done with some guns. You can damage the extractor doing that, especially on something like a 1911.

(York County)

I carry Underwood Xtreme Defender 90gr in my 9mms. Idk if fluted ammo was just a little fad a few years ago or what, but I like carrying them. They always do good in the gel tests you used to see all over youtube, and theres no hollow tip to get clogged up and cause it to not perform as it should since its not relying on expansion.

you shouldnt need to cycle rounds so much that it would cause any set back, but you can also sufficently avoid it by just loading that round back into the mag first. just set it aside until you are reloading.
    no need to worry about trying to slam the extractor over the round.
    7+1rnd rotating, 8 cleanings before the weapon is cycling the first round for a second time, 32 cleanings before you manage to cycle the first round 4 times.
    15+1 would raise that to 64 cleanings before you cycle the round 4 times.

assuming you set the chambered round aside each time and pile the others, you've still got a low chance of chambering a previously chambered round.
    if you dot them with a sharpie you can ensure you maintain some order through the first cycle so you ensure you don't rechamber a round through at least the first 8 cleanings.

i play the odds and don't worry about setback. not like im slamming the same round a dozen times.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast