Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How to move 550 pound gun safe 120 miles

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    If you lean the top half of the safe down on the bed of the pick up truck, two or maybe three guys can pivot/pick up the bottom half and slide it all the way onto the bed. It kind of works like a see saw with the top half pivoting on the tailgate and the bottom half swinging up. Not as hard as it sounds.

Comes off the same way. Slide the laid down safe until the bottom half slides off the tailgate and rests on the floor, and then a couple of guys get on the bed and lift up the top half to stand it fully upright.
    FYI - Be careful when resting the safe on the tailgate. It isn*t uncommon for the tailgate straps to snap under the load - especially if they have a few years on them.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    If you lean the top half of the safe down on the bed of the pick up truck, two or maybe three guys can pivot/pick up the bottom half and slide it all the way onto the bed. It kind of works like a see saw with the top half pivoting on the tailgate and the bottom half swinging up. Not as hard as it sounds.

Comes off the same way. Slide the laid down safe until the bottom half slides off the tailgate and rests on the floor, and then a couple of guys get on the bed and lift up the top half to stand it fully upright.
    TAKE THE TAILGATE OFF FIRST!!!!!!

(Northumberland County)

Appliance hand truck, like the one Walleye pictured. Find friend with trailer or rent a trailer with ramp (one that will work with the hand truck's wheels...i.e. no ramps with big gaps). 550lbs shouldn't be that bad.

Unrelated note, I once dropped a 35 gallon barrel of gear oil off a truck lift gate. Long story, didnt have help, and couldn't secure the wheels on the barrel's dolly. Minor hazmat crisis avoided solely out of luck. Being 3 feet up with a lot of weight that wants to move on you (fall) isnt terribly fun.

(Montgomery County)

Leave it, it is boomer security blanket stuff. Fifty bucks of gear from Harbor Freight will cut right through the side of it in ten minutes. Layer your security, use bolted to the floor steel cabinets and an alarm system. Have a hidden gun locker as well.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Berks County)

You could also call around and you might find a moving company that will do it. I'm older and less poor than I used to be and I wouldn't rule that method out if I was doing it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

3 of us just picked this 69 C10 cab and the cart it was bolted to and put it in the bed of this truck. Right around 450 or so lbs.

IMG_6278.jpg

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Thats what I used with a 700 pounder. I was only 31 at the time, I don't think I'd attempt it now.

I also had to get it off the back of a tractor trailer with no liftgate. I backed up my pickup and slid it into the bed, then slid it off the bed onto the ground.

Doing it with no help was pretty stupid but I got it in the house with no damage to the safe or the house.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Thats what I used with a 700 pounder. I was only 31 at the time, I don't think I'd attempt it now.

I also had to get it off the back of a tractor trailer with no liftgate. I backed up my pickup and slid it into the bed, then slid it off the bed onto the ground.

Doing it with no help was pretty stupid but I got it in the house with no damage to the safe or the house.
    The safe and the house can be repaired...or not if you don't want to but blown-out spines are forever.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Washington County)

I have a 900 lb safe. A friend and I moved it. The Liberty paint slides nice on some old pieces of thick carpet, or you can roll it on a couple pieces of pipe, just be careful not to pinch your fingers when moving the pipes front to back. But ya, strong backs and some pyramid building techniques is all it takes.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    I already told the wife if we move the safe stays. I will just buy a few smaller ones
    Always an option. Sell it with the house or post it for cheap with mandatory pickup.

Smaller safes don't have this issue and decentralized storage is a good benefit. One tough safe vs 3 semi-tough safes is still going to have more time spent prying/sawing in total with the latter technique

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast