Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default 1911 9mm Government model to .45 acp commander.

Hey Girls,

Ok dumb question time (once again!). Last week I bought one of those SDS 1911*s that tanners has on sale for tree-fiddy Somalians! I am really happy with the purchase*. Gun. Comes with a ramped 9mm barrel, non-arched backstrap, short trigger (i prefer long* but an easy fix), And extended commercial safety*. Everything a growing boy could want!

Anyway got it home, and thought to myself, self*. Don*t you have a Para Ordinance 1911 .45 commander slide that you bought like ten years ago, up at Sarco, for an obscenely cheap price? Well long story*. I did, and was able to dig it out from the dark nether regions where unused parts tend to inhabit, in perpetual suspended animation*. Oh, happy day*. Not only is it a ramped bull barrel 1911 series 70*. But it has a barrel, bushing, and all the little goodies that I don*t now have to buy! I even found a long guide rod that Me and my trusty, tool of infinite destruction**. dremel*. Cut down to commander size in nuff*n flat!

I cobbled the Frankenstein collection of parts together, rightly certain that the sum of individual items would surely be parsecs greater then the Lonely parts by themselves! Well long story imtermably longer*. All parts bench tested fine*. Slide to frame was good and solid, ..45 mags fit the 9mm lower as they should*. All is right with the world*. Ok what the hell thinks I, I have a few AZOOM snap caps in the holy caliber of all creations*. .45 A freaking, C massive, P positive! Load and lock!!!! Well*.crunch*. Jammed up tighter then a spinsters bloomers*.. *bullet* nose on the ramp, rear of slide on the rim and back of shell hung up under the 9mm ejector*..

I assume all things being equal*. The 9mm ejector is my nemesis*.. I thunk, that if I was to switch this puppy with a .45 ejector*. I would be good to go, and living in Xanadu with Olivia Newton John! But I fear this would hurt my functioning with the 9mm slide*. I have read the .38 super ejectors are shorter, And I have had good luck shooting 9mm out of a .38 super slide with a 9mm barrel*. So just maybe the great and hairy balls of Zeus*. Would allow function of .45 ACP with a .38 super ejector????

Could one of the .38 super ejectors work with both 9mm And .45 pray-tell?

Thanks!
    Fred
    Last edited by 1096369fred; August 2nd, 2022 at 10:06 PM.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 1911 9mm Government model to .45 acp commander.

Not likely.
    You*ll probably need a 45 extractor and a 45 slide stop too. If you don*t have one a 45 firing pin as well.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

I am running a complete .45 slide*.. not just trying to change out barrels*. I mocked it up and it seems to function*.but I am afeared that I would need to change out the existing 9mm long ejector with a .45 ejector with each slide swap*. (Pain in the ass!) so I*m kinda hoping I can find a one size fits all for this lower*. Hope springs eternal!

Thanks!
    Fred
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Bucks County)

Pic for attention:

P.S. Tanners had the Grisan Hi Power for $475*.so what am I, an oak??? Just living on Rahman for the next couple of weeks!
    Last edited by 1096369fred; August 10th, 2022 at 08:40 AM.