Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Becoming a gunsmith

I am retired and considered going to a gunsmith school. Not for a career but more for the fun of it.

Unfortunately the entry fee is pretty steep.

I'll probably just buy a nicer boat.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    The real solution of course is to forget about the idea that your job should provide any personal satisfaction whatsoever, and treat it purely as a source of income. Use that income to get life satisfaction elsewhere.
    ^^^This^^^

I realized long ago that anything I actually enjoy doing, doesn't pay shit as a career. I go to work to make money to enjoy the things I like.

(Washington County)

I'm a big fan of "do something you can tolerate for 40 hours a week to earn a bunch of money then go do whatever you want".

I have a tolerable day job that affords me the ability to play gunsmith at home in my free time, working on my own projects. That satisfies my need to do work with my hands and create tangible goods that serve a purpose. Check out the book Shop Class As Soulcraft for more on the psychology around that. That book is a tough read but put into words things that I couldn't so I recommend it.

If you have the space, build yourself a shop at home and teach yourself. There are plenty of how to videos on youtube these days.

Be patient and watch for deals on older stuff, but just to ballpark:

-Used knee mill (Bridgeport, etc) with a basic vise and collets and 3 phase converter - $2k-$2500
    -Used TIG welder - $500
    -Used lathe, small single phase - $1200
    -Tooling and inspection/measuring tools - $???

Other items I find useful:
    -sand blast cabinet
    -arbor press
    -hydraulic press
    -grinders
    -belt sanders
    -die grinders/dremels
    -parkerizing tank
    -air compressor

You can easily fill a 2 car garage.

I really don't mess with making stocks or anything too in depth with woodworking, so someone else can speak to that, but once you acquire tools you can slowly learn how to use them and do more and more.

It can take years to build a home fab shop and learn skills, but the journey will probably give you the satisfaction you're lacking in life.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I'm a big fan of "do something you can tolerate for 40 hours a week to earn a bunch of money then go do whatever you want".

I have a tolerable day job that affords me the ability to play gunsmith at home in my free time, working on my own projects. That satisfies my need to do work with my hands and create tangible goods that serve a purpose. Check out the book Shop Class As Soulcraft for more on the psychology around that. That book is a tough read but put into words things that I couldn't so I recommend it.

If you have the space, build yourself a shop at home and teach yourself. There are plenty of how to videos on youtube these days.

Be patient and watch for deals on older stuff, but just to ballpark:

-Used knee mill (Bridgeport, etc) with a basic vise and collets and 3 phase converter - $2k-$2500
    -Used TIG welder - $500
    -Used lathe, small single phase - $1200
    -Tooling and inspection/measuring tools - $???

Other items I find useful:
    -sand blast cabinet
    -arbor press
    -hydraulic press
    -grinders
    -belt sanders
    -die grinders/dremels
    -parkerizing tank
    -air compressor

You can easily fill a 2 car garage.

I really don't mess with making stocks or anything too in depth with woodworking, so someone else can speak to that, but once you acquire tools you can slowly learn how to use them and do more and more.

It can take years to build a home fab shop and learn skills, but the journey will probably give you the satisfaction you're lacking in life.
    I have about 50 years of collection most of that stuff you have on the list but don't know how to use a large amount of it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Washington County)

I guess if you want to follow the same path I am on then you have to ask yourself how good are you at self-teaching.

Just the other day my dad was telling me that when I was young, he noticed I could do anything I was shown. Not much explanation needed, just monkey see, monkey do.

That characteristic I have is probably one of my most valuable. I know if I can find instructions, especially of the visual nature, I can do anything.

The characteristic I've had to develop the most: patience. The willingness to do it once and do it right. I've tackled many projects in a half assed manner to get them done with success, or had to re-do them, but now I'm finally learning the patience to do it right the first time. More prep time, more set up time, more small bites instead of large ones.

That is mainly out of necessity, I have too many things going on and can't afford to do much of anything twice.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Berks County)

I find that I can do it twice myself if I have to for less than I can pay someone else to fuck it up anyway. Then, the next time I can handle it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Gunsmithing isn't something you simply decide to do one day. Unless you are very young.. I mean, 18-is MAX, it*s not a good career choice. I*ve never done any formal training. Just taught myself from a young age. I was doing trigger jobs at 19. Started building rifles, started building rifles & pistols in my mid & late 20*s respectively. I do all the good stuff now, but I*m only a hobbyist. It*s not something I would even think of doing professionally. Let alone that I*m disabled & half paralyzed. Big thing is clientele. Just not enough of it unless you*ve been doing it the last couple decades or more. Need to have your own gig to make any real money* and good luck at that in this day & age.

Now, if you*re just wanting to pick it up as a hobby, don*t PAY to learn.. Just DO IT! Want to learn how operate a lathe or a mill?? Buy one, and learn online! Not everyone has the knack. Some love firearms & think they would enjoy Gunsmithing, only to find it boring & tedious. Here*s a little test. Do you reload? Do you enjoy it? If not. You likely won*t enjoy Gunsmithing either. If you are are one who enjoys modifying, working on & fitting small parts, and you are patient, then yes* you likely would enjoy it. So pick it up as a hobby. Get into something like HVAC, or become an Electrician as a career though. Look to something that EVERYONE needs. You*ll ALWAYS have a job & will be able to work ANYWHERE in the country you want!

(Bucks County)

I know a very good gunsmith who gave up when things got too miserable under the ATF.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12