Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Glock 30sf... school me on sights

I have a Glock 30sf with Glock night sights.

I like the Glock sights. But the front post is dirty and can't be cleaned. Still glows in the dark but in the daylight it's a black dot instead of a white dot. Not the best for day shooting.

Anyone have opinions on 3 dot night sights? (I am committed to the 3 dot tritium system. I don't want to learn trapezoid sights or anything different)

Also the TruGlo website talks about how the Glock 10mm and .45 guns need a taller sight with the dots a good 2 mm (guessing) off the top of the slide. (So almost room for 2 front sight dots on the front post) But the standard Glock night sights are low profile with the dots barely raised above the top of the slide. (So the dot takes up the entire front sight post.)

I can't figure out why that would be recommended. Wouldn't any sights work as long as the front and back were the same height?

Thoughts? Comments?

I'm also open to suggestions on how to clean the Glock front sight post. The glass vile looks clear. It's not fouled with carbon on the surface. I can't figure out why it's so dark in the daylight.
    May the Schwartz Be With You

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Glock 30sf... school me on sights

Ameriglo. I like the Protector sights, but for three dot varieties, they have several styles and the high visibility yellow or Orange front sights work great in most light

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Those are taller than the standard Glock sights too. Just like the TruGlo's.

By a good 2mm (guessing based on the photo and not being near the gun to measure). The ones for smaller caliber guns are shorter.

Why would taller sights make more sense on a .45?

What knowledge about pistols sights am I lacking here?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    Those are taller than the standard Glock sights too. Just like the TruGlo's.

By a good 2mm (guessing based on the photo and not being near the gun to measure). The ones for smaller caliber guns are shorter.

Why would taller sights make more sense on a .45?

What knowledge about pistols sights am I lacking here?

Two mic drops in one night. I am on a roll.... MIC DROP

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/si....htm?lid=13186

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Two mic drops in one night. I am on a roll.... MIC DROP

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/si....htm?lid=13186
    That is a neat tool.

I think that is for a rifle with a tapered barrel though where the front sight has to be higher than the rear to make them line up.

A Glock slide is flat and level.

Your post is well placed though because I have a .22 rifle I needed to add irons to and this is super useful.

Meaning you answered another question before I even asked it. So mic drop confirmed!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I have a Glock 30sf with Glock night sights.

I like the Glock sights. But the front post is dirty and can't be cleaned. Still glows in the dark but in the daylight it's a black dot instead of a white dot. Not the best for day shooting.

Anyone have opinions on 3 dot night sights? (I am committed to the 3 dot tritium system. I don't want to learn trapezoid sights or anything different)

Also the TruGlo website talks about how the Glock 10mm and .45 guns need a taller sight with the dots a good 2 mm (guessing) off the top of the slide. (So almost room for 2 front sight dots on the front post) But the standard Glock night sights are low profile with the dots barely raised above the top of the slide. (So the dot takes up the entire front sight post.)

I can't figure out why that would be recommended. Wouldn't any sights work as long as the front and back were the same height?

Thoughts? Comments?

I'm also open to suggestions on how to clean the Glock front sight post. The glass vile looks clear. It's not fouled with carbon on the surface. I can't figure out why it's so dark in the daylight.
    I have these on my 30 and I have no complaints.

https://store.teamglock.com/gun-part...-ameriglo.html

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    I have these on my 30 and I have no complaints.

https://store.teamglock.com/gun-part...-ameriglo.html
    Ameriglo Trooper or Bold sights...the rear serrations cut down glare a bit....