Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Who Are You Using For Gun Trusts In PA?

Who’s the go-to for NFA gun trusts these days? I see a lot of chatter about National Gun Trusts, but I’d like to keep things local to Pennsylvania (for obvious reasons).

In the past, Prince Law seemed to be a popular choice for NFA gun trusts, is this still the case, or are you guys using a different outfit?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Who Are You Using For Gun Trusts In PA?

I'm sure Prince Law will still assist you with a Gun Trust.

While I don't use one, if I did - I'd rather hire a lawyer who has a primary focus on guns. ...Like Josh Prince or Phil Kline(Gunlawyer001).

As I'm sure you know, there is a "new"(few years old now) procedure for Trusts with the NFA. All of the Responsible Persons(trustees) must submit fingerprints and photos, whereas before they didn't. But CLEO signoff isn't required, you just have to send them notice with copies of prints/photo/application.

Whichever lawyer you hire should be able to better fill you in with that.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I'm sure Prince Law will still assist you with a Gun Trust.

While I don't use one, if I did - I'd rather hire a lawyer who has a primary focus on guns. ...Like Josh Prince or Phil Kline(Gunlawyer001).

As I'm sure you know, there is a "new"(few years old now) procedure for Trusts with the NFA. All of the Responsible Persons(trustees) must submit fingerprints and photos, whereas before they didn't. But CLEO signoff isn't required, you just have to send them notice with copies of prints/photo/application.

Whichever lawyer you hire should be able to better fill you in with that.
    ^As Knight points out- A NFA trust no longer "simplifies" the NFA acquisition process, in fact I would argue that it now makes things WAY more complicated than filing as an individual.

That being said, I understand there are other valid reasons such as estate planning that a person may want to take advantage of.

I went with an "Online Trust" tailored to NFA items. I did this prior to the change in trust requirements and I did solely with the intent to simplify purchase. I did not care about estate planning. I no longer use the trust and I choose to now purchase as an individual.

If I were concerned with estate planning I would follow Knight's advice and go with a PA based gun law Attorney.

Just my .02
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

I understand for each additional gun acquired/built, everyone named in the trust has to submit new fingerprints?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I understand for each additional gun acquired/built, everyone named in the trust has to submit new fingerprints?
    i know that all responsible persons must submit finger prints for any new NFA item. its not bad i did my own last 2 items
    Last edited by akley88; August 1st, 2022 at 12:57 PM.

All, thanks for your insights regarding gun trusts. While I was aware that there were changes made to the NFA gun trust several years ago, I was not aware of the specific language surrounding CLEO and beneficiaries. Back then, I had no need nor desire for NFA items, so while the changes were on my radar, they didn't really impact me... until now, lol. Anyway, thanks for the help and direction!

(Washington County)

199trust.com is who I recommend. I know many who have used him, myself included.

To clarify one item said above, you do not send a copy of your prints and photo to the CLEO, just the CLEO copy of the form and typically a cover letter (google cleo cover letter for an example).
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    199trust.com is who I recommend. I know many who have used him, myself included.
    Thanks Josh!

So, the reason for my interest in a gun trust is purely for the engraving requirements of the NFA item. From what I understand, your NFA item needs your full name engraved, no? If so, I am not sure I like the idea of my name engraved on my NFA item, as I would rather have something a bit more incognito.

Would a NFA gun trust be a good tool to accomplish this, or would something else be better?

(Washington County)

Just for an NFA item you form 1, because you (or your trust) are the manufacturer on a form 1and manufacturer markings are required. Markings should be easily visible and can be on the receiver or the barrel. Most people put then somewhere discreet, yet visible, and stick to the minimum font size and engraving depth.

As an individual you would engrave your name and location like so:

Phil McCrackin
    Intercourse, PA

When you have a trust it would be like so:

McCrackin Trust
    Intercourse, PA

You can also use a fun trust name:

Lets Go Brandon Trust
    Intercourse, PA

I still think the main benefit of a trust today is ease of passing on your NFA items if something were to happen to you.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796