Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Groundhog hunting with a .22

That mirrors my experience. The folks that told me about eating them also would eat the carp they caught. I field dressed a groundhog years ago, late in the season. Loads of fat and meat, and loaded with ticks, fleas and botflies.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Do any of you eat these things? I have heard from a few people over the years that grass fed groundhog is delicious.
    I have never even considered it.
    I used to, breaded and fried or sautéed with butter and onion.
    The extra fat makes them better to eat in a survival situation than rabbit.

(Bucks County)

I could see that. I may have try that. Of course, I*d eat a handful of nuts and bolts if they were battered and fried.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Delaware County)

I have had BBQ Groundhog. Not bad but not something I would seek out.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(York County)

Well this gained more traction than i thought it would. I did group a few CCI stingers, and found them to group "good enough" for the power they're giving. I'm more than confident that headshots will be lights out with no issues. Most of the shots i get on them are within 50-60 yards anyhow.

A few talking about how these things do on a dinnerplate. I just don't know that I could stomach one of em. Something about the smell of the things, just doesn't do so hot with me. Given i've had plenty of meal from the forest. Groundhog reminds me of how a porcupine smells, and that takes me to the time I cooked up a pair of those. Super fatty critters, all glands removed, and it was still some of the worst eating i've ever had. I just can't imagine groundhog is that far off from those. However, since we're already multisubject here, looking forward to hopefully finding some beaver holding waters this coming trapping season. I hear over and over that they're some of the best eating critters we've got in the state. I land trap for fox, etc. Here in my area of York County, i've never seen or heard of a single beaver in the area. Just like muskrat, none to be found. I can always seem to find some mink in any creek I set in, but never any rats.

(Bucks County)

Supposedly groundhogs are good eating if prepared right but they have sent glands you have to cut out after you skin them and if you miss one you will know it. I have no clue where they are or how many.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Supposedly groundhogs are good eating if prepared right but they have sent glands you have to cut out after you skin them and if you miss one you will know it. I have no clue where they are or how many.
    If in doubt where scent glands are ? Just cut off the legs up to thigh . Even then the hog we tried years ago was dog food !

(Bucks County)

I was told to roast it surrounded by turnips. I have not tried it.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    If in doubt where scent glands are ? Just cut off the legs up to thigh . Even then the hog we tried years ago was dog food !
    I thought they had more than just on their back legs. Like some on their shoulders and front legs too (I heard raccoons do). If you can't find them all is this why the cooked meat stinks?

Groundhogs eat the same things as rabbits and squirrels so I don't see why they would taste that bad.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I thought they had more than just on their back legs. Like some on their shoulders and front legs too (I heard raccoons do). If you can't find them all is this why the cooked meat stinks?

Groundhogs eat the same things as rabbits and squirrels so I don't see why they would taste that bad.
    They aughta have some meat on the front and back legs, back strap, just like other mammals. I'm pretty sure there's thousands of folks that have processed critters without finding all the glands, only to say something is terrible. I actually collect all the glands out of my fox caught in trapping season to blend into gland lure. so i'm sure i'd be able to properly prepare a groundhog. The woman of the house, well, i'm sure she'll have no part of it. i'll have to be the only one eating that meal in my house. She loves venison, but i doubt very much that she's up for trying whistle pig. I'm tempted enough at this point to try one out. Better use than tossing em to the vultures i suppose.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast