Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Reconsidering carry gun: why do you carry what you do?

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I carry a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight using a Mika holster in my right front pants pocket. 5 shots, no reloads.

About the same here, except I have some speed loaders. I want to learn how to hide them better. I don't care for strip loaders.

Most gun fights are three rounds or less at least that's what I've been told. I don't know the modern stats.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    I am comfortable with .380 for self defense at that distance. I couldn*t really envision the realistic need for self defense beyond that.

Until the Indiana shooting where Elisjsha Dicken took out the mall shooter at about 40 yards hitting 8 of 10 shots.

Most of us will never encounter such a situation. I don't plan to work around it. You might... we each have to weigh our risks and act accordingly.

Might as well carry a magnum revolver or 10mm.

10mm Hornady 180 gr XTP 5" barrel

Muzzle 1275 650
    50 yard 1146 525
    100yrd 1052 443
    (ft/s) (ftlb)

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...-180-gr-xtp#!/

At 100 yards you're beating some 40 S&W rounds. 10mm recoil is manageable.

44 Magnum 7.5" barrel

Muzzle 1350 971
    50 yd 1231 807
    100yd 1134 685
    (ft/s) (ftlb)

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...-240-gr-xtp#!/

A 9mm is a fine round, so is a 357 magnum or 38 +P.

(Washington County)

I've tried a lot of different carry guns since I started carrying 15 years ago. But, lately I find its either my G19 Gen 5 with an RMR or my SIG P229... I know I can get hits effectively out to most realistic distances and have a lot of rounds through the 19. I ran a Gen 4 19 in IDPA for the few years I was actively competing...

(Montgomery County)

Hope this is the right section of the forum. I*ve been carrying a Rugermax .380 since February. The last 3 years before that was a Sig 365. I switched because the RugerMax is a great for pocket carry and have switched completely to pocket carry. I did love the Sig though. I figure that most self defense confrontations take place within a few yards. At 8 yards I am all over the center of the target with the RugerMax. I am comfortable with .380 for self defense at that distance. I couldn*t really envision the realistic need for self defense beyond that.

Until the Indiana shooting where Elisjsha Dicken took out the mall shooter at about 40 yards hitting 8 of 10 shots.
    That shooting is changing my thinking and I have switched back to the Sig over the last week for both IWB and open carry. While I am good with the Ruger Max out to 8 yards it gets shaky at 15 yards and I am lucky to hit the target at 25 yards with it. I am still good with the Sig at 25 yards. I am going to start practicing at 50 yards, something I never really thought was necessary.

The gun Elisjsha Dicken used was a Glock 9mm but I don*t know what gun it was. I bet that if it is made public the sales for that model will go through the roof.

What do you carry and why? Would you feel confident making 8 out of 10 40 yard shots with your carry gun?
    I carry a 686 Plus with two speed loaders. I should be able to stop a threat with twenty one rounds of .357 cartridges.

(Butler County)

Upgraded my gen 1 Shield to the Shield Plus, with the 13 round mags.
    -Brandon

I know a fellow that said this...

"if you prepare only for the "average" gunfight then you plan on not being prepared for half of them!"

I listen to him.

Rick

I used to carry a P365 IWB and a Kel Tec P32 as a backup. Due to some medical issues, I've had to switch to pocket carry, so I now carry a Ruger LCP Max .380. I don't like it nearly as much as my P365. It's not as accurate or as comfortable to shoot. But it will get the job done. In an effort to keep the gun as light as possible, I keep it fed with alternating rounds of Liberty Civil Defense Ultra Light and Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo.

When I go for walks I carry my P365 in a fanny pack slung like a sling pack. It's easily accessible, and since I'm exercising usually in sweat shorts or pants, no one really gives it much mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I used to carry a P365 IWB and a Kel Tec P32 as a backup. Due to some medical issues, I've had to switch to pocket carry, so I now carry a Ruger LCP Max .380. I don't like it nearly as much as my P365. It's not as accurate or as comfortable to shoot. But it will get the job done. In an effort to keep the gun as light as possible, I keep it fed with alternating rounds of Liberty Civil Defense Ultra Light and Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo.

When I go for walks I carry my P365 in a fanny pack slung like a sling pack. It's easily accessible, and since I'm exercising usually in sweat shorts or pants, no one really gives it much mind.
    Similar medical issues here also .Would like a chest draw that is not cumbersome or thinking of the Ruger you have also ! How is the recoil with your loads ?

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Similar medical issues here also .Would like a chest draw that is not cumbersome or thinking of the Ruger you have also ! How is the recoil with your loads ?

They're less snappy than FMJ .380. Smaller grain bullets (50gr for Liberty Civil Defense and 68gr for Underwood) helps with that. Still snappy because it's .380, but more manageable.

Have you looked at a belly band? They can be worn higher if your build allows it. I recommended the one from N8 Tactical to a friend of mine who wanted something for when she went to the gym. So far she's been pretty happy with it.

(Centre County)

What do you carry and why? Would you feel confident making 8 out of 10 40 yard shots with your carry gun?
    I carry this thing in particular because I think it looks pretty.
    20220610_185435.jpg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567