Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Reconsidering carry gun: why do you carry what you do?

Hope this is the right section of the forum. I*ve been carrying a Rugermax .380 since February. The last 3 years before that was a Sig 365. I switched because the RugerMax is a great for pocket carry and have switched completely to pocket carry. I did love the Sig though. I figure that most self defense confrontations take place within a few yards. At 8 yards I am all over the center of the target with the RugerMax. I am comfortable with .380 for self defense at that distance. I couldn*t really envision the realistic need for self defense beyond that.

Until the Indiana shooting where Elisjsha Dicken took out the mall shooter at about 40 yards hitting 8 of 10 shots.
    That shooting is changing my thinking and I have switched back to the Sig over the last week for both IWB and open carry. While I am good with the Ruger Max out to 8 yards it gets shaky at 15 yards and I am lucky to hit the target at 25 yards with it. I am still good with the Sig at 25 yards. I am going to start practicing at 50 yards, something I never really thought was necessary.

The gun Elisjsha Dicken used was a Glock 9mm but I don*t know what gun it was. I bet that if it is made public the sales for that model will go through the roof.

What do you carry and why? Would you feel confident making 8 out of 10 40 yard shots with your carry gun?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Reconsidering carry gun: why do you carry what you do?

In the summer a Glock 43 in my pocket or on my hip with a plus 1.

In the winter a Glock 27 on my hip with a plus 1.

I don’t like going below 9mm. And if I venture into NJ, my mags are OK.

I can hit a human sized target with good accuracy at 50 yards plus with anything that I carry. I would be willing to bet that most of you could do the same if you gave it a try. Sight alignment and trigger control are key.

(Delaware County)

Sig 365 IWB and OWB. Easy to carry and decent capacity. 40 yards I'm running away.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Delaware County)

I carry a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight using a Mika holster in my right front pants pocket. 5 shots, no reloads. Easy, no fuss, don*t have to adjust my dress, always the same gun in the same place summer or winter. If there appears to be a threat, placing my hand on the gun attracts no attention. I*m a revolver guy and I shoot a J frame well. At 15 yards or less I*ll put them where they need to be with decent, but not remarkable speed. I don*t have any illusions about taking 50 yard shots under pressure.

I know that this is PAFOA and 5 shots is heresy. I*m fine with that. I understand my needs and my skills and I*m comfortable with my choices.

(Wayne County)

I went from a sig 238 to a sig 365 for the extra capacity.He who runs out of ammo first loses.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I carry a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight using a Mika holster in my right front pants pocket. 5 shots, no reloads.

About the same here, except I have some speed loaders. I want to learn how to hide them better. I don't care for strip loaders.

Most gun fights are three rounds or less at least that's what I've been told. I don't know the modern stats.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I can hit a human sized target with good accuracy at 50 yards plus with anything that I carry. I would be willing to bet that most of you could do the same if you gave it a try. Sight alignment and trigger control are key.

That is why I carry a 1911. I have a snub nosed .357, and no way I*m hitting things at 75 yards with it.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I can barely see 40 yards. I've got no business shooting at something that far away, without a scope or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    What kind of self defense circumstance do you see at 50 yards? Maybe someone with a rifle, or a skilled handgun shooter? Fifty yards is half a football field.

Most self defense is going to be from them being able to touch you to about fifteen to twenty feet away.

I have simulated stress at the range. I will exercise to close to exhaustion, then twirl around a little bit. Grab the handgun and then fire. My groups grow about four times in span. I practice quite a bit.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    In the summer a Glock 43 in my pocket or on my hip with a plus 1.

In the winter a Glock 27 on my hip with a plus 1.

I don*t like going below 9mm. And if I venture into NJ, my mags are OK.
    You really need to get away from an area where you can accidentally travel to the PRNJ. I can start sending you links to places for sale.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast