Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Reconsidering carry gun: why do you carry what you do?

Hope this is the right section of the forum. I*ve been carrying a Rugermax .380 since February. The last 3 years before that was a Sig 365. I switched because the RugerMax is a great for pocket carry and have switched completely to pocket carry. I did love the Sig though. I figure that most self defense confrontations take place within a few yards. At 8 yards I am all over the center of the target with the RugerMax. I am comfortable with .380 for self defense at that distance. I couldn*t really envision the realistic need for self defense beyond that.

Until the Indiana shooting where Elisjsha Dicken took out the mall shooter at about 40 yards hitting 8 of 10 shots.
    That shooting is changing my thinking and I have switched back to the Sig over the last week for both IWB and open carry. While I am good with the Ruger Max out to 8 yards it gets shaky at 15 yards and I am lucky to hit the target at 25 yards with it. I am still good with the Sig at 25 yards. I am going to start practicing at 50 yards, something I never really thought was necessary.

The gun Elisjsha Dicken used was a Glock 9mm but I don*t know what gun it was. I bet that if it is made public the sales for that model will go through the roof.

What do you carry and why? Would you feel confident making 8 out of 10 40 yard shots with your carry gun?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Reconsidering carry gun: why do you carry what you do?

In the summer a Glock 43 in my pocket or on my hip with a plus 1.

In the winter a Glock 27 on my hip with a plus 1.

I don’t like going below 9mm. And if I venture into NJ, my mags are OK.

I can hit a human sized target with good accuracy at 50 yards plus with anything that I carry. I would be willing to bet that most of you could do the same if you gave it a try. Sight alignment and trigger control are key.

(Delaware County)

Sig 365 IWB and OWB. Easy to carry and decent capacity. 40 yards I'm running away.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Delaware County)

I carry a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight using a Mika holster in my right front pants pocket. 5 shots, no reloads. Easy, no fuss, don*t have to adjust my dress, always the same gun in the same place summer or winter. If there appears to be a threat, placing my hand on the gun attracts no attention. I*m a revolver guy and I shoot a J frame well. At 15 yards or less I*ll put them where they need to be with decent, but not remarkable speed. I don*t have any illusions about taking 50 yard shots under pressure.

I know that this is PAFOA and 5 shots is heresy. I*m fine with that. I understand my needs and my skills and I*m comfortable with my choices.

(Wayne County)

I went from a sig 238 to a sig 365 for the extra capacity.He who runs out of ammo first loses.

(Monroe County)

I carry a Walther PPQ .40S&W and other times, my Russian Makarov. I reliably hit decent groups center mass at 50 yds with both. However, I would like to find a new carry in 9mm Luger (not Mak). 9mm Luger seems cheaper these days than .40S&W and especially 9mm Mak. I'm considering a Walther PDP Compact, which will also get me more rounds in the mag than my PPQ or Mak. Hopefully, I can find something I like at the upcoming Oaks show!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    What do you carry and why? Would you feel confident making 8 out of 10 40 yard shots with your carry gun?
    If I am 40 yards away, I don't need to engage. I can almost certainly flee, which is what I will do.

(Chester County)

I score hits consistently at 25 yards, in an 8" ring, with my Smith Shield, .9mm

I'm an expert marksman though.

Great question

I just bought the Springfield Hellcat Pro. Originally I was looking for just a small, summer carry. Not too small, but something around the size of the SCCY or so. Just enough to get my pinky on, but also tuck easily in waist band or pocket.

Then I started thinking about the Glock G43X or G45 and running the Shield Arms 15 round magazine. Actually had a chance to shoot the G45 a week ago. It was ok, but I still, for life of me, just can't like the Glock trigger. I carry a Glock for duty, have well over 4K rounds through Glocks, and just don't like their trigger.

But, then, a guy at the gun counter showed me the Hellcat Pro.

https://www.springfield-hellcat.com/...p-9mm-handgun/

15 round capacity, Tritium sights and Optics ready all standard. And if you buy before Aug 30 Small enough to easily carry, but enough to get all 3 fingers on. And, personally, I like Springfield triggers way better than Blocks. (I currently carry an XD 9 with a 4inch barrel.)

And if you buy before Aug 31 you get a rebate for 3 more magazines and a "range bag".

https://springfield-armory.com/gear-up-2022

My version came with the mags and bag already. I wouldn't call it a range bag as there is no room for ammo or ear/eye pro. But it will hold the pistol and 6 mags

I haven't shot it yet, but if it shoots like my XD, I think it will be the perfect (for me) carry gun. I might add an optic later, not sure. Haven't shot with one much at all yet. I'll see how I do with the factory sights and go from there

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast