Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Reconsidering carry gun: why do you carry what you do?

I carry a FN 509 compact with my FN 509 Tactical 17 round mag. And I can use the 24 rounders if I venture into more undesirable locations. I love the trigger on these guns.

I carry the ruger 57 with EA S4 ammo. 20 rounds of 2500fps. Soon to be 23 rounds as soon as I get my hands on that psa rock's magazines.

Don't want to get to preachy, but... Federal along with the FBI did a bunch of testing at some point and found that 2200fps was the speed where the temporary wound cavity became the permanent wound cavity, why a 9mm out of a glock doing 1400-1800fps does less damage despite bigger bullet diameter than a 5.56 going 3000fps. The hydrostatic shock at speeds above 2200fps does not recover, so you'll see a balloon cavity and tissue damage 6" from the bullet path. People get hit with pistols and walk it off, but any torso or leg shot from a rifle will drop the target where he stands. It's why kyle rittenhouse's rifle was so damned effective, shot placement doesn't matter as much. I saw the video where bicep boy's bicep turned to a red mist, and it was fantastic.

So EA S4 ammo going at 2500fps vs 3100fps out of an AR15's 5.56(same projectile), will still achieve the goal of 2200+fps. And with criminals attacking in groups lately, I'd like to have the extra capacity.

(Warren County)

Like Carson, my minimum caliber is 9mm. I prefer .40 or .45.

Beyond that, the platform is all up to you. Whaddya like, what are you accurate with?

Gun fight rules

1. Have a gun

2. Have an accurate gun.

3. Have enough gun: caliber and capacity
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Like Carson, my minimum caliber is 9mm. I prefer .40 or .45.

Beyond that, the platform is all up to you. Whaddya like, what are you accurate with?

Gun fight rules

1. Have a gun

2. Have an accurate gun.

3. Have enough gun: caliber and capacity
    Knowing how to use it should be on that list somewhere. So should knowing when to use it.

(Berks County)

Again en lieu of the most recent shootings I've considered changing my summer carry but decided not to . My winter / fall carry is a Beretta Px4 compact 9mm with an extra mag on my hip . My summer is a Ruger LCR .38 with usually 5 extra rounds (speed loader) . If I'm beyond that I'm rethinking my situation.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Spring/Summer I carry a Hellcat RDP and in the fall/winter I sometimes switch it up to my FN509C. With Springfield launching the 15 round magazines for the Hellcat's last year I may not even carry the FN this fall. I would say I'm more accurate with it though even without an optic compared to the RDP with the Hex Wasp.

After that shooting happened I decided to try shooting out at 40 yards just to see. I'm far from a great shooter but below was a pic of my group, I managed 7 of 10 rounds on target. No warm up either, just shot ten rounds and also forgot my muffs.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    I carry the ruger 57 with EA S4 ammo. 20 rounds of 2500fps. Soon to be 23 rounds as soon as I get my hands on that psa rock's magazines.

Don't want to get to preachy, but... Federal along with the FBI did a bunch of testing at some point and found that 2200fps was the speed where the temporary wound cavity became the permanent wound cavity, why a 9mm out of a glock doing 1400-1800fps does less damage despite bigger bullet diameter than a 5.56 going 3000fps. The hydrostatic shock at speeds above 2200fps does not recover, so you'll see a balloon cavity and tissue damage 6" from the bullet path. People get hit with pistols and walk it off, but any torso or leg shot from a rifle will drop the target where he stands. It's why kyle rittenhouse's rifle was so damned effective, shot placement doesn't matter as much. I saw the video where bicep boy's bicep turned to a red mist, and it was fantastic.

So EA S4 ammo going at 2500fps vs 3100fps out of an AR15's 5.56(same projectile), will still achieve the goal of 2200+fps. And with criminals attacking in groups lately, I'd like to have the extra capacity.

I*m lazy. Can you post some of those studies. Is it hard to find ammo currently at a box store?
    ΑΣΦ

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post

I’m lazy. Can you post some of those studies. Is it hard to find ammo currently at a box store?
    ΑΣΦ

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    I*m lazy. Can you post some of those studies. Is it hard to find ammo currently at a box store?
    5.7x28 ammo isn't super hard to find but it's unlikely you'd just stumble across it at some gun stores. Last time I was in at Rural King in State College they probably had about 5k rounds of 5.7 which I about shit myself seeing that much at once.

I'd be interested to see what the carry setup is on the Ruger, I have a FN Five Seven and picked up an IWB AlienGear for fun but it prints way to much for conceal carry for me. It's a shame because 20 rounds + super light weight is a win/win. Only downside I see with them is possible over penetration compared to 9mm.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    Hope this is the right section of the forum. I*ve been carrying a Rugermax .380 since February. The last 3 years before that was a Sig 365. I switched because the RugerMax is a great for pocket carry and have switched completely to pocket carry. I did love the Sig though. I figure that most self defense confrontations take place within a few yards. At 8 yards I am all over the center of the target with the RugerMax. I am comfortable with .380 for self defense at that distance. I couldn*t really envision the realistic need for self defense beyond that.

Until the Indiana shooting where Elisjsha Dicken took out the mall shooter at about 40 yards hitting 8 of 10 shots.
    That shooting is changing my thinking and I have switched back to the Sig over the last week for both IWB and open carry. While I am good with the Ruger Max out to 8 yards it gets shaky at 15 yards and I am lucky to hit the target at 25 yards with it. I am still good with the Sig at 25 yards. I am going to start practicing at 50 yards, something I never really thought was necessary.

The gun Elisjsha Dicken used was a Glock 9mm but I don*t know what gun it was. I bet that if it is made public the sales for that model will go through the roof.

What do you carry and why? Would you feel confident making 8 out of 10 40 yard shots with your carry gun?
    Hello, I tend to open carry most of the time so, I most often carry my Glock 19 Gen 5. I've been shooting since I was a kid, I can confidently say that my accuracy at 40 yards would be excellent, that being said, I've only ever practiced shooting at targets, never in an actual self defense situation.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast