Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Reconsidering carry gun: why do you carry what you do?

Like any other, "What should I use?" question, you'll get a different answer from everyone rather than a consensus but I hope you get valuable information that you can use. I carry an H&K USP9 Compact OWB and am happy with it. It prints but at this point, I don't care. I have not tried a slew of models to see what works best for me, I just bought it and like it better than the other options that I own. I can easily hit a human sized target at 50yds and hit a balloon at 50 at a balloon shoot a few weeks ago. I am not a marksman. But in the winter, when I have layers on, I do like to carry my H&K P7 because it is my favorite gun.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wayne County)

I*ve got enough stuffed inside my waste band and no room for anything else.

(Montgomery County)

P365.

Best everything gun I've found. Also, it just fits, and works.

(Bucks County)

I am going from a G23 to a G19.5 with RDS and WML...I like the extra rounds and the Gen 5 is a little more accurate than my Gen4

I have thought about my P365X but I don't have enough rounds downrange with it yet...but it ran right out of the box with no issues with a RDS and WML

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    In the summer a Glock 43 in my pocket or on my hip with a plus 1.

In the winter a Glock 27 on my hip with a plus 1.

I don*t like going below 9mm. And if I venture into NJ, my mags are OK.
    Interesting, does NJ recognize police from other states carrying? Knowing the way NJ is I am a little surprised that they respect police from other states.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I can hit a human sized target with good accuracy at 50 yards plus with anything that I carry. I would be willing to bet that most of you could do the same if you gave it a try. Sight alignment and trigger control are key.
    Nice, I will be practicing at 50 starting next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    I went from a sig 238 to a sig 365 for the extra capacity.He who runs out of ammo first loses.
    Makes me wonder if the carry guns of just 5 years ago are obsolete now. Only advantage to a gun that carries less ammo I can think of is that it is lighter. But even then a person could choose not to load a magazine all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I carry a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight using a Mika holster in my right front pants pocket. 5 shots, no reloads. Easy, no fuss, don*t have to adjust my dress, always the same gun in the same place summer or winter. If there appears to be a threat, placing my hand on the gun attracts no attention. I*m a revolver guy and I shoot a J frame well. At 15 yards or less I*ll put them where they need to be with decent, but not remarkable speed. I don*t have any illusions about taking 50 yard shots under pressure.

I know that this is PAFOA and 5 shots is heresy. I*m fine with that. I understand my needs and my skills and I*m comfortable with my choices.
    One of the reasons I went with the ruger was it is a great pocket carry gun. I did not ask this to belittle anyones choices. Everyone has their reasons and has to go with what works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
    I carry a Walther PPQ .40S&W and other times, my Russian Makarov. I reliably hit decent groups center mass at 50 yds with both. However, I would like to find a new carry in 9mm Luger (not Mak). 9mm Luger seems cheaper these days than .40S&W and especially 9mm Mak. I'm considering a Walther PDP Compact, which will also get me more rounds in the mag than my PPQ or Mak. Hopefully, I can find something I like at the upcoming Oaks show!
    Lol*. I love that someone whose screen name is taken from a Russian spy carries a Makarov. Very fitting. Btw* I read your post in Boris*s voice from the show.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    If I am 40 yards away, I don't need to engage. I can almost certainly flee, which is what I will do.
    Definitely the best plan for survival on your part and safest thing to do on your part. I can imagine what the uproar would have been if Eli had stopped the shooter but also hit another citizen. If I had the chance and thought I had a good chance to stop the threat I think I would go for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I score hits consistently at 25 yards, in an 8" ring, with my Smith Shield, .9mm

I'm an expert marksman though.
    Nice, I am normally on target with my Sig at 25 although not anywhere near an 8 inch group.

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    Great question

I just bought the Springfield Hellcat Pro. Originally I was looking for just a small, summer carry. Not too small, but something around the size of the SCCY or so. Just enough to get my pinky on, but also tuck easily in waist band or pocket.
    If I did not have the 365 I would probably have a Hellcat.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Like any other, "What should I use?" question, you'll get a different answer from everyone rather than a consensus but I hope you get valuable information that you can use. I carry an H&K USP9 Compact OWB and am happy with it. It prints but at this point, I don't care. I have not tried a slew of models to see what works best for me, I just bought it and like it better than the other options that I own. I can easily hit a human sized target at 50yds and hit a balloon at 50 at a balloon shoot a few weeks ago. I am not a marksman. But in the winter, when I have layers on, I do like to carry my H&K P7 because it is my favorite gun.
    I like the idea of practicing with balloons. I think I will take some next time I go to the range. Sounds like fun. I have never shot an H&K so can*t comment on them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    P365.

Best everything gun I've found. Also, it just fits, and works.
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    I am going from a G23 to a G19.5 with RDS and WML...I like the extra rounds and the Gen 5 is a little more accurate than my Gen4

I have thought about my P365X but I don't have enough rounds downrange with it yet...but it ran right out of the box with no issues with a RDS and WML
    Glock ought to get the guy who stopped the mall shooting to start advertising for them. It would be great PR. You can*t go wrong with a 365.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post

My carry is very similar. Shadow systems mr920 with rmr and surefire x300. Carried in a stealth gear appendix rig with extra magazine.

(Erie County)

The chance of being caught in a scenario as described in the OP is slim next to none.

Having a gun is better than having no gun, and you might to have to fight before even employing the gun in a self defense situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    In the summer a Glock 43 in my pocket or on my hip with a plus 1.

In the winter a Glock 27 on my hip with a plus 1.

I don*t like going below 9mm. And if I venture into NJ, my mags are OK.
    You really need to get away from an area where you can accidentally travel to the PRNJ. I can start sending you links to places for sale.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I can hit a human sized target with good accuracy at 50 yards plus with anything that I carry. I would be willing to bet that most of you could do the same if you gave it a try. Sight alignment and trigger control are key.

That is why I carry a 1911. I have a snub nosed .357, and no way I*m hitting things at 75 yards with it.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Depends on season and activities.

Started out with the XD-40 sub compact. Carried that for years. Switched to a 40 shield because of weight and size.
    Switch the shield out for the G2C for capacity.

Carry the G2C mostly. The Ruger LCP I carry for quick trips or deep concealment. Love that gun.
    I recently picked up the LCP max. Only shot that once. I feel it shoots very low. Need to get a better feel for the max.

I always have a back up mag with me as well.

Reasons why I carry the G2C and lcp is for the size. Occasionally I will spice it up with the Taurus 605.

And very rarely I OC a full size
    ΑΣΦ

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast