Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Question What caliber semi-automactic pistol would most likely be right for me?

Hey guys,
    I'm brand new to the forum and to the world of firearms. But I feel nostalgic already. I took a basic pistol course and am on my way to getting my CT ccw permit and then my PA non-resident. My question relates to a few calibers of pistols that I fired in my course that I may want to eventually purchase. I definitely want this Rossi .38 special revolver (4-inch barrel) for my home protection. But as far as a semi-automatic, I fired what I believe was a Glock 40 with 10mm rounds. And it was hard on my hands. The recoil was a little strong for me. Should I get a semi-automatic with a smaller caliber like a 9mm or get a .40sw which has less recoil than the 10mm? I know I should and will go to the range to try some 9mm and .40sw semi-automatics. I'm kinda just curious if I should be more concerned with the size round or the brand of gun for a more comfortable fire. What caliber would be most appropriate in your opinion?

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: What caliber semi-automactic pistol would most likely be right for me?

Shoot a bunch. It's not so much the caliber as the gun. A well made .45 may feel like a dream in your hand when a crappy 9mm will feel like shit.

Shoot a bunch of guns and see what you like.

Default Re: What caliber semi-automactic pistol would most likely be right for me?

Try every weapon that you can...friends, group shoots, etc. Some ranges will even let you try/rent different weapons....then....
    Use the largest cal. that you can hit the target with....using whatever style, hold etc....as long as it works for you.
    Then practice......a lot.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Shoot a bunch. It's not so much the caliber as the gun. A well made .45 may feel like a dream in your hand when a crappy 9mm will feel like shit.

Shoot a bunch of guns and see what you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    Try every weapon that you can...friends, group shoots, etc. Some ranges will even let you try/rent different weapons....then....
    Use the largest cal. that you can hit the target with....using whatever style, hold etc....as long as it works for you.
    Then practice......a lot.
    That pretty much sums it up. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
    I vote the second first

(Chester County)

One gun every shooter should have though is a good .22 pistol. They're great for honing your skills and minimizing bad habits. Plus they're cheap to shoot.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Adams County)

+1 for the 22.

I have a Mark II slab side that i always take to range. I use it for a warm up. I'll run 30-40 rounds through it, then switch to the .38 sp or 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy View Post
    +1 for the 22.

I have a Mark II slab side that i always take to range. I use it for a warm up. I'll run 30-40 rounds through it, then switch to the .38 sp or 9mm.
    Always have my Mark III at the range and usually shoot it everytime. Cheap ammo fun to shoot and pretty darn accurate

I started with a 1911 45 acp and it is still one of my easiest and best shoot guns I have. Also do not rule out wheel guns the long barrel 357's are a blast to shot and also esy to learn on. Plus the pound tacks

(Berks County)

As far as choosing a caliber, my advice is to find a range that rents guns and try firing multiple caliber models of the same gun (ie: 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP in a sprinfield XD 4" barrel). That'll give you the best "feel" for the recoil of each caliber and make it much much easier to select the one thats best for you. After that, find a model gun you like and as others have said, practice practice practice.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dextorg View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm brand new to the forum and to the world of firearms. But I feel nostalgic already. I took a basic pistol course and am on my way to getting my CT ccw permit and then my PA non-resident. My question relates to a few calibers of pistols that I fired in my course that I may want to eventually purchase. I definitely want this Rossi .38 special revolver (4-inch barrel) for my home protection. But as far as a semi-automatic, I fired what I believe was a Glock 40 with 10mm rounds. And it was hard on my hands. The recoil was a little strong for me. Should I get a semi-automatic with a smaller caliber like a 9mm or get a .40sw which has less recoil than the 10mm? I know I should and will go to the range to try some 9mm and .40sw semi-automatics. I'm kinda just curious if I should be more concerned with the size round or the brand of gun for a more comfortable fire. What caliber would be most appropriate in your opinion?
    I'm curious, why are you sure that you want a revolver for home defense when you are contemplating buying a semi-auto? I would give consideration to keeping one gun for all defensive purposes, because then you will have twice as much practice down if the SHTF.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast