Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default How to LEGALLY ship a pistol?

Does anyone know exactly what avenues are legal for me to ship a pistol out of state?

Selling it to a private citizen and I will be shipping it to that person's chosen FFL So they can transfer it to them.

(Berks County)

Default Re: How to LEGALLY ship a pistol?

FedEx website now says they will only accept firearm shipments from FFL's. No unlicensed individuals.

UPS overnight with adult signature. Probably $100 on your own. A local FFL can do a little better if they have an account, but will charge you a nominal fee for their service.

Or pay that nominal fee to a local FFL to be shipped via USPS. This is usually cheaper because they can ship Priority Mail for $16.10 or $21.50 (medium or large flat rate box). Likely $20-$25 FFL 'fee.'

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    FedEx website now says they will only accept firearm shipments from FFL's. No unlicensed individuals.

UPS overnight with adult signature. Probably $100 on your own. A local FFL can do a little better if they have an account, but will charge you a nominal fee for their service.

Or pay that nominal fee to a local FFL to be shipped via USPS. This is usually cheaper because they can ship Priority Mail for $16.10 or $21.50 (medium or large flat rate box). Likely $20-$25 FFL 'fee.'
    This is correct but you also have to take into account the insurance fee for USPS. I typically charge $50 to ship a handgun unless the insurance is over $500 then I have to add on the charge for anything above that. I do all the packing to make sure it's done correctly to mitigate any damage that might happen during transit.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

Kinsey's near E-town ships for $40, plus extra for insurance over $400, I think. ($7 per $100 value over $400, completely optional)
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

I've never used these folks, or know anyone that did, but they might bear looking into...

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lycoming County)

I use a local FFL. He flat rates $40 for pistol and $50 for rifle. Not anyplace cheaper than that, that I know of.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I use a local FFL. He flat rates $40 for pistol and $50 for rifle. Not anyplace cheaper than that, that I know of.
    That's what my FFL charged me too, a couple of times. Buyer wanted the gun I was selling bad. So he paid it. And usually, FFL will want license validation on receiving FFL if not a manufacturer.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    That's what my FFL charged me too, a couple of times. Buyer wanted the gun I was selling bad. So he paid it. And usually, FFL will want license validation on receiving FFL if not a manufacturer.
    I've sold a few on here that I've shipped and I will negotiate that into the price. I give my FFL the receiving FFL's email and they exchange info. Basically I just have to drop it off, give them all info, and they handle it from there. Definitely worth the money IMHO. I've never had a buyer complain either. I honestly don't know why so many people refuse to ship if it's that simple honestly, especially if the buyer is willing to pay the freight.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post
    Does anyone know exactly what avenues are legal for me to ship a pistol out of state?

Selling it to a private citizen and I will be shipping it to that person's chosen FFL So they can transfer it to them.
    Keep in mind that some FFLs will NOT accept firearms shipped to them by NON FFLs. Check before you decide to do it yourself. Post #2 is your best route.

(Lancaster County)

I went with UPS. Thanks all