Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default So does anyone know if an FFL can run serial numbers on used guns?

I’ve always been told they couldn’t and a background check only checks the person purchasing the gun and not the gun itself. I find used guns I want in classifieds and just want to make sure I am not buying a stolen weapon. I just spoke to an FFL/Class III dealer in my area that told me he can run serial numbers to check for stolen guns but two other gun dealers told me they can not. Who should I believe? According to one FFL I spoke to only the PSP can run serial numbers and they only do so if a gun is used in a crime. I even called my county sheriff to ask him if he could and he told me he won’t. I don’t understand why such information is so heavily guarded. Ohio and Florida have a stolen gun database anyone can access but Pa offers nothing. I don’t know if Ohio’s and Florida’s systems are tied into NCIC or not. They may only be records from within those states.

Default Re: So does anyone know if an FFL can run serial numbers on used guns?

Short answer? Something something its illegal to have a national searchable registry.

Best thing to do? Long guns get a bill of sale with sellers info (name address phone #, verify drivers license and/or LTCF) to C.Y.A.

Pistols require FFL to transfer, so its moot and not your problem after that.

IANAL YMMV etc etc…

Im sure one of our resident FFL holders or lawyers will be along shortly to expand and clarify on this

It’s illegal to have a registry of firearms legally owned but not a stolen firearms database that tells you nothing about the rightful owner. NCIC contains stolen firearm information as do state law enforcement databases. At least two states that I noted have stolen firearms data bases accessible to the public.

(Washington County)

PA FFL's do not have that ability.

"I just spoke to an FFL/Class III dealer in my area that told me he can run serial numbers to check for stolen guns but two other gun dealers told me they can not."

I'm curious how they do this, unless they know a LEO that helps them out.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Well he does business with the local cops. He could just be full of shit too.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    Well he does business with the local cops. He could just be full of shit too.
    Yep, came back clean, that'll be $30.......

(Bucks County)

Ffl*s can not access the ncic data base to check firearm status. They can*t access pa state police data bases either.
    Your ffl is full of shit.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Well if he blew smoke up my ass I’ll never do business with him. I was at another gun shop today that I frequent and me and the owner had a lengthy discussion about this matter. He told me there is no way for him to run a serial number.

:shrug:

I vaguely recall a video on yourube that explains the way the ATF searches for lost/stolen firearms, it only happens when requested after a crime is committed, and it had something to do with 4 people working in a warehouse in west virginia combing thru 4473s…

Needle in a haystack. Best thing you can do is CYA with bill of sale or transfer thru FFL and not worry about it. If they show up knocking on your door…plausible deniability and you did your due diligence. How were you supposed to know it was a stolen firearm? it falls on them to prove you are guilty of a crime.

Again, IANAL this is all conjecture.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    Well if he blew smoke up my ass I*ll never do business with him. I was at another gun shop today that I frequent and me and the owner had a lengthy discussion about this matter. He told me there is no way for him to run a serial number.
    You should tell us who it is so we don*t use his services. Nobody wants to patronize an ffl that doesn*t know his basic shit or intentionally lies.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast