Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: So does anyone know if an FFL can run serial numbers on used guns?

I potentially stand corrected as I don*t use Epics. I*m to low volume to bother with it. And I say potentially because I don*t know if Epics checks the ncic database to see if a gun is stolen. My understanding is that a police department has to account for every time they they do a ncic check- I don*t see access without accountability by ffl*s happening.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    As an FFL I can indeed check for stolen firearms. There is an App on the E-PICS website; the one where we do e-file PICS. I punch in a serial number, pertinent firearm information such as make and model. I don't get much detail information back. The response merely informs me that there is no record of that particular firearm on a stolen firearms data base. If a firearms comes up as on a stolen firearms data base, I'm instructed to notify law enforcement immediately.

To add: A Pa. FFL can only do this through the E-PICS. If they aren't using the electronic system they can't access that information.
    I Might have to use it more.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Well the FFL/Class III that told me he could run serial numbers uses E-Pics. He does a lot of business in my area and even organizes gun shows. He definitely does business with the local cops as well. There’s a chance that E-PICS doesn’t access NCIC and maybe only accesses a list of stolen firearms that were reported in Pa. From my understanding the free civilian sites run by Ohio and Florida only covers firearms reported within those states. Even so it’s better than nothing.

(Westmoreland County)

The App on E-PICS is easy to use. For those FFLs here that utilize the electronic system do the following:
    Go to your log-on screen. Log on.
    After you do so you will see a list of menus to your left. The second one down will be Stolen gun check. There will also be two large category icons in the lower center of the page for firearms purchases and stolen gun checks.
    Open one of the stolen gun tabs and follow the prompts which are formatted like the purchase tabs.
    Enter the proper firearm information and hit enter.
    You will receive a notification from PICS that there is no record found of this firearm in a stolen data base along with a reference number for you; OR you will receive a notice that there is a record and to contact law enforcement.

It's easy to use and straight forward. It doesn't give you any information except whether or not a firearm is on a stolen firearms data base; but it's better than no ability to discover if a firearm is stolen or not.

(Delaware County)

The App on E-PICS is easy to use. For those FFLs here that utilize the electronic system do the following:
    Go to your log-on screen. Log on.
    After you do so you will see a list of menus to your left. The second one down will be Stolen gun check. There will also be two large category icons in the lower center of the page for firearms purchases and stolen gun checks.
    Open one of the stolen gun tabs and follow the prompts which are formatted like the purchase tabs.
    Enter the proper firearm information and hit enter.
    You will receive a notification from PICS that there is no record found of this firearm in a stolen data base along with a reference number for you; OR you will receive a notice that there is a record and to contact law enforcement.

It's easy to use and straight forward. It doesn't give you any information except whether or not a firearm is on a stolen firearms data base; but it's better than no ability to discover if a firearm is stolen or not.
    Jeff, if you get a positive from E-PICS, ie firearm reported stolen, will there be a follow up from the feds or PSP as to what happened to the gun?

Bob D

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    Jeff, if you get a positive from E-PICS, ie firearm reported stolen, will there be a follow up from the feds or PSP as to what happened to the gun?

Bob D
    I'm assuming so once you contact them. Or they may contact you. I haven't had a firearm come up stolen yet on any of my inquiries so I'm not really 100% sure what happens in those cases.

(Westmoreland County)

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but I just looked on our shops Epics logon and don't have a place to check for stolen guns.
    Can you post a screen shot (or PM me if preferred)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 340M&P View Post
    Maybe I'm not seeing it, but I just looked on our shops Epics logon and don't have a place to check for stolen guns.
    Can you post a screen shot (or PM me if preferred)
    You need to log on first. It should be on your home page screen just under the firearms purchases tab. There should also be a large icon on for it in the lower center of the home screen as well.

(Washington County)

As an FFL I can indeed check for stolen firearms. There is an App on the E-PICS website; the one where we do e-file PICS. I punch in a serial number, pertinent firearm information such as make and model. I don't get much detail information back. The response merely informs me that there is no record of that particular firearm on a stolen firearms data base. If a firearms comes up as on a stolen firearms data base, I'm instructed to notify law enforcement immediately.

To add: A Pa. FFL can only do this through the E-PICS. If they aren't using the electronic system they can't access that information.
    Where exactly in ePics do you access that screen?
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Where exactly in ePics do you access that screen?
    See my post #24 in this thread. I give a detailed sequence for finding the app on Epics. Good luck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast