Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: So does anyone know if an FFL can run serial numbers on used guns?

This whole issue PERFECTLY illustrates the problem with *Gun buyback programs*.
    They ENCOURAGE gun thefts from homes! It’s the perfect crime. Government is your partner in the crime!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    This whole issue PERFECTLY illustrates the problem with *Gun buyback programs*.
    They ENCOURAGE gun thefts from homes! It*s the perfect crime. Government is your partner in the crime!
    Please explain to me how an FFL having access to whether a particular firearms is stolen or not encourages gun theft? Even more so; how does that tie in to Gun Buyback Programs?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    The big box stores do use the E-PICS but many of the smaller FFLs (Such as myself) use that system as well. It allows us to run multiple checks in a more timely and efficient manner. An FFL doesn't really need much in the way of complicated infrastructure to utilize the E-PICS App. Just a good internet connection and a proper device. I've run PICS checks on my Android phone though I prefer to use my laptop here at the shop or my tablet at gun shows. I really don't understand why more (Or most, if not all) FFLs don't utilize the E-PICS system. It's really not that complicated.
    Shydas uses it too.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    Well the PSP can deny it all they want they definitely keep track of handgun sales. Long arms are a different story especially in Pa where an FFL transfer is not required for long arms. I have some old Savage shotguns without serial numbers as they were not required until *68 or *69. God only knows how many times they have been bought and sold before ending up in my collection. No way to trace them either. In a sense they are ghost guns.
    Ruger did sometimes reuse serial numbers before they became required and required to be unique.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    I read online that Tennessee has it*s own system called TICS that can check for stolen guns.
    I was checking my dog for TICS and the little a hole stole my gun.

(Blair County)

stolen guns do make it through . one of the instructors guys tells people to get used guns checked .

(Westmoreland County)

Opera Snapshot_2022-08-01_174302_epics.pa.gov.jpg

This is a snapshot of our home screen. 340M&P sent me a screen shot of his home page and it is missing the stolen gun check tab and icon. My office manager informs me that she believes that we had to sign up for this feature and did so at an ATF/PSP Dealer Seminar we attended. You may need to call PICS to add this to your account.

I called the help desk number (listed on the login page) and of course, they were of no help at all and said they would get back to me... I'm not holding my breath.

(Westmoreland County)

In the words of Hubert Farnsworth "Good news everyone!" A gentleman named Ralph called us back from the help desk at PICS today. For those E-pics dealers who don't have the stolen gun search feature enabled; you DO have to call and add it to your account. My Office manager was correct. The number is: 717-772-1896; ask for Ralph. He should be able to help you get this feature set up. Good luck.

(Warren County)

As a pistol buyer that got burned on a hot pistol, i like the feature.

The FFL gun store that bought the pistol from the thief and sold it to me, refused to make good on the deal.

He went out of business shortly therefter.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Luzerne County)

I stand corrected.
    Last edited by normg; March 6th, 2023 at 04:05 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast