Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: So does anyone know if an FFL can run serial numbers on used guns?

Have to call to get it activated.
    Last edited by normg; March 6th, 2023 at 04:06 PM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by normg View Post
    FFL Dealer here. FFL dealers cannot run serial numbers on guns new or used. There is no state or national registry of serial numbers. Unconstitutional. Even when we (dealers) buy guns we have no way of knowing if it is stolen. I have bought guns in the past that were confiscated by police because they were stolen. We don't get compensated. Even police agencies need to do an ATF trace to check a serial number. That means they call the ATF, yes in West Virginia. The ATF contacts the manufacturer with the serial number to see where they shipped it and they follow the sale through distributors and dealers calling each one. The only records are the paper records in the hands of each FFL Dealer. The FBI/ATF does keep a list of reported stolen guns/serial numbers. FFL dealers do not have access to that list.
    Our PICS program has a "Stolen Gun Check" box...other than than that, unless the gun came thru our store, we cannot track it...as far as I know.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Luzerne County)

There is a stolen gun check.
    Last edited by normg; March 6th, 2023 at 04:06 PM.

Even if the gun came through your store you would have no way of knowing if it was stolen since.
    So the only way to see if it was stolen is to have a cop run the numbers?
    FJB

(Bucks County)

There is no state or national registry of serial numbers. Unconstitutional.
    So they make others keep the records and files for them. Pretty good scam.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Westmoreland County)

Same here. I have my Epics open. No stolen gun check.
    Have you not read the rest of this thread? See my posts on page 4, post numbers 37 and 38. #37 shows a screen shot of the stolen gun icon and #38 gives instructions and contact for the PSP support to get this added to your E-PICS account.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    You should tell us who it is so we don*t use his services. Nobody wants to patronize an ffl that doesn*t know his basic shit or intentionally lies.

If you read the ePICS manual, it clearly states that some dealers have the ability to run firearms checks, to see if it is stolen.

Here is a quote from the manual:

"There is no fee for a stolen gun check. The blue fields are required and the green are optional. You can submit your gun check with just a Make Description and a Serial Number. The Serial Number is required and that field cannot be filled in with “none.” Type the Serial Number with no spaces, dashes, or dots. Slowly type the first two (or three) letters of a description of the gun make (such as “smi” for “Smith & Wesson”) into the Make Description field to see a popup with possible gun makes; the system will display all makes in the database with those letters in that order anywhere in the make name (for example, “smi” will find “Cosmi” as well as all “Smith” names). Use your mouse or up and down arrow keys to move to the correct gun make to select it. Hit tab or Enter and the optional Make field will fill in automatically with the official 3-letter code for that Make. Note: On some Apple devices making a selection from the pop-up requires that you tap the name twice; once to highlight it in the pop-up, an|

When you login the epics as a registered FFL. You will see, echeck PICS. and Check Firearm. 2 options.

You can also call it in.

Old post, but hopefully i cleared that up

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345