Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Ruger Max-9 with Red Dot

Anyone buy a Ruger Max-9 and put a red dot on it? I got one several weeks ago at a great price and now am thinking about putting a red dot on it. Considering a SIG Romeo Zero, Holosun 507K or a Swampfox Sentinel. Thoughts about the gun and the red dots (the mount is a RMSc/J-Point foot print)?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Ruger Max-9 with Red Dot

I have never used the "open" style red dot that now are so common. All my experience is with the "telescope" type that I used for Bullseye, bowling pins and steel many years ago. But one thing I do know from them is you must wear your prescription lenses if you really want to see a red dot instead of a red caterpillar. Also you must develop your "natural grip". That is the one that puts the dot (or iron sights) centered when you raise the pistol to fire. It avoids you having to break your wrist up and down or left and right to find the dot. Practice it diligently and it becomes natural even drawing from a concealed holster. Good luck with the gun and sight combo!
    Last edited by Brick; July 27th, 2022 at 04:53 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Westmoreland County)

Don't have the Ruger, but I have both the Sig Romeo Zero and a Crimson Trace 1550. The Zero rides a Kel Tec P17 22lr pistol after it had issues, was sent back and Sig did fix it. The CT has been on a Sig P365 for almost a year and a half, several hundred rounds and no issues.

I hear great things about the Holosun you mentioned, but have no experience with them.

It takes some practice to get used to focusing on the target, not the front sight, but for me it was worth the time, ammo and effort.

Good luck!

(Centre County)

Got the SIG Romeo Zero at a great price so I went with it. I had to do a minor modification to the steel shield that came with it so it would sit level on the slide. So far I am happy with it, with my grip on the gun when I draw, I have to do little to nothing to bring the red dot into the window. I think with a little more practice it will be natural. I'll get it sighted in next week and I'll report on how it and the sight did. I really like what I am reading about the Holosun 507K so I might pick one up to have available.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member