Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: PICS and research

"Research" means that something has come up on the check that the operator cannot get an answer to approve or deny in a set amount of time. It could be a false flag caused by a glitch or it could be a query to another computer has not been answered or something on the application is not correct (like a foreign nationals' I-94 or resident alien number does not match the name because of a typo or any other thing). If it can't be quickly resolved the person goes into "Research". I have had people go into "Research" and then get approved in 2-4 hours. There is no set period on how quickly it can happen but it does have a maximum of 15 days (not business days but they are open 7 days per week).

PICS has more than 2 people monitoring the system. I had a guy 2 weeks ago get a denial reversal so I had to call it in to make sure they had all the info I needed. It took less than 5 minutes to get an operator. Gave her all the info and the check went through in less than 2 minutes. I asked if I could now use ePICS on him and she said yes. As an aside, I asked if they were fully staffed and she told me there were 10 operators working that shift as we talked and she thought they still are short staffed.

Now think about this, As of 2:00 pm 7/26/2022 the PICS unit has done more than 631,656 checks so far this year, so about 90,000 per month, or average of 3000 per day, or 250 per hour. Then take into account how many operators may be working and any checks that are flagged that an operator needs to look at, which would include them having to query other computers including the DHS and INS systems to make a determination and I think they really are trying to do their best. I have checks that come back within 30 secs of inputting them in the ePICS system, some go to pending (operator has to look at it) and have come back in 5-15 minutes and some that take an hour or two. When someone goes into pending the operator is tied up with that check so they are "down" for that amount of time.

I would like to know exactly how many operators are supposed to be on a shift but I don't know if anyone down there in a management position would tell you.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

I've sometimes been approved in a matter of minutes, other times hours and once even went in to research. No rhyme or reason.

(Delaware County)

I have YET to go straight through on PICS. It*s a minimum of an hour. The longest wait was 4 days.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Bucks County)

It usually takes 5 or 10 mins for me

(Bucks County)

I should know this but does Pa have a time cutoff so that if you are not denied you can automatically go pick your firearm up? My dad got put on hold in Georgia and for some reason and he never got approved (he has a totally clean record). But after 3 days the gunshop called and he could go pick it up without any BS.

(Centre County)

Sorry to say but no they do not. Mainly because of PICS. Also, most states that have ccp/ccw/ltcf/etc will allow you to buy your firearm without a background check because you underwent a bgc when getting that. The PSP had the option to do that at one time but they decided not to include that feature in the UFA.

I just bought an AR15 and Sig320. The background check for the AR took an hour due to the system being busy but the check for the Sig went right through. I have a criminal record as well but maybe that just makes me easier to identify😏

(Bucks County)

There was a time here in Pennsylvania when one could buy a handgun with the pistol permit serving as evidence of gun-worthiness. I think I recall a three-day wait requirement, waived if holding a pistol permit. (For the LTCF Nazis, that's what it was called back in the 70s and prior).
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

I'm curious how the background checks will go ay Oaks this weekend. It would suck to go into research and have to travel to whatever shop the purchase is being made through at a later date.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    I'm curious how the background checks will go ay Oaks this weekend. It would suck to go into research and have to travel to whatever shop the purchase is being made through at a later date.
    Historically, I've found that checks at Oaks (and other shows) go faster, earlier in the day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast