Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LTCF Exemptions

(Allegheny County)

Question LTCF Exemptions

Does any one know the application of 6106,b,10 "Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season." It seems interesting because couldn't you be training a dog while out for a walk, therefore not needing a license. What is the "regular training season"? Very interesting.

Default Re: LTCF Exemptions

I would assume training refers to hunting duties. According to this you can train them anytime during the year. I wonder if it use to be you could only train them at certain times during the year and that law has since changed but the law you cited was never updated.

2016 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
    Title 34 - GAME
    Chapter 23 - Hunting and Furtaking
    Section 2382 - Training dogs on small game

Universal Citation: 34 PA Cons Stat § 2382 (2016)
    § 2382. Training dogs on small game.

(a) General rule.--Unless otherwise provided by commission regulation, it is lawful to train a dog or dogs during any time of the calendar year. Persons who are solely training dogs and who comply with the provisions of this section shall not be required to have a hunting or furtaking license. The commission may, by regulation, prohibit or further restrict or relax the training period for specific breeds of dogs on game or wildlife.

(b) Restrictions.--

(1) Any dog being trained pursuant to subsection (a) shall be accompanied by and under the control of the owner or a handler.

(2) The owner or handler or any other person shall not carry a bow and arrow or a firearm fired from the shoulder while training a dog.

(3) No dog shall be permitted to kill or inflict any injury upon the pursued game or wildlife.

(c) Sunday limitation.--It is unlawful to train dogs on privately owned property on Sunday. This limitation shall not apply to:

(1) National or State forest land.

(2) State game lands.

(3) Privately owned property when the consent of the person in charge of the land is first obtained. (Dec. 19, 1996, P.L.1442, No.184, eff. 60 days)

Cross References. Section 2382 is referred to in section 2386 of this title.

https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsyl...3/section-2382

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    I would assume training refers to hunting duties. According to this you can train them anytime during the year. I wonder if it use to be you could only train them at certain times during the year and that law has since changed but the law you cited was never updated.

2016 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
    Title 34 - GAME
    Chapter 23 - Hunting and Furtaking
    Section 2382 - Training dogs on small game

Universal Citation: 34 PA Cons Stat § 2382 (2016)
    § 2382. Training dogs on small game.

(a) General rule.--Unless otherwise provided by commission regulation, it is lawful to train a dog or dogs during any time of the calendar year. Persons who are solely training dogs and who comply with the provisions of this section shall not be required to have a hunting or furtaking license. The commission may, by regulation, prohibit or further restrict or relax the training period for specific breeds of dogs on game or wildlife.

https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsyl...3/section-2382

For State Parks:

Dog Training in State Parks
    In state parks, the training of dogs is only permitted from the day following Labor Day through March 31 in designated hunting areas.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/W...s/default.aspx

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by iUxTc View Post
    Does any one know the application of 6106,b,10 "Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season." It seems interesting because couldn't you be training a dog while out for a walk, therefore not needing a license. What is the "regular training season"? Very interesting.
    If you do not have a LTCF, in order to qualify for 6106.b.10 you must have a Sportsmans Permit under 6106.c.1

(c) Sportsman's firearm permit.--

(1) Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.

(2) Any person who sells or attempts to sell a sportsman's firearm permit for a fee in excess of that amount fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    For State Parks:

Dog Training in State Parks
    In state parks, the training of dogs is only permitted from the day following Labor Day through March 31 in designated hunting areas.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/W...s/default.aspx
    Thanks for the clarification

(Allegheny County)

OK I see now. But they should just add those words in the original section. I still don't know what a sportsmen firearms permit would be good for, useless.

(Luzerne County)

It*s for people under 21 years old who are not able to apply for a LTCF or people who for whatever reason do not want to get one.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by iUxTc View Post
    OK I see now. But they should just add those words in the original section. I still don't know what a sportsmen firearms permit would be good for, useless.
    I think you need one just to take a firearm (pistol) hunting (without a LTCF). I don't think hunting is on the OK list to transport a firearm around without one. I never heard of this being enforced though.

I am sure someone can correct me if I am wrong.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I think you need one just to take a firearm (pistol) hunting (without a LTCF). I don't think hunting is on the OK list to transport a firearm around without one. I never heard of this being enforced though.

I am sure someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    PA regulates carrying concealed, carrying in a vehicle, carrying on public domain in a City of the First Class, and carrying on public domain during a state of emergency.

Manually operated handguns are legal devices to hunt with(certain requirements for centerfire/.22cal rimfire for certain species), no special stamp/permit required - unlike some states where hunting with a handgun requires another "stamp".

The Sportsman Permit is a, well, permit to allow you to CONCEAL or transport a "firearm" to/from/during hunting, fishing, trapping, or dog training.

If you walk from your home to your hunting location while carrying openly, no LTCF or SP is required. The only purpose of the SP is to provide a means to conceal/transport, because those are the regulated acts.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

^^^^This Good for carrying and transport for fishing too. I had one when I was a kid. Had to list the firearm. Not sure if that's still the case.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast