Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIG P365 SAS

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default SIG P365 SAS

Fiancée took me to an Amish gun shop on Saturday. I was hooked by the SIG P365 SAS. I thought the SAS models just had snag-free rounded corners, but this was different. No external sights. The bright green-glowing sights are recessed into the slide, a dot and a ring. It's not reflex sights, you still need to align the front and back. At first I thought "Where's the battery?" It's fiber optics. It has a window built into the top of the slide to gather the light. (Battery-free Amish technology LOL) I think it's the coolest idea. I'll definitely buy one when it hits the P365XL.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SIG P365 SAS

Interesting for sure.
    I'm not sure that traditional sights are a problem all of a sudden, but hey, I love that the industry keeps developing new stuff.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on those sights. I handled a SAS model but didn't shoot it.

Some of the complaints were about target acquisition time being longer because the sight was a new system as well as less accuracy over traditional sights.

Given that it is essentially a concealed carry/self defense weapon, i would rather hit what I'm aiming at since I'll be accountable for every round fired.

While it might not make a big difference at 7 yards shooting defensively, look at what happened in Indiana. I have no way to confirm the police reports, but the good shooter engaged a target at 40 yards. Is this the exception? Sure.

I carry a p365 in a vedder pocket holster and haven't really found the sights to be problematic since the holster lines most of the pocket.

-Zach

I carry mine everyday. I was never a very good pistol shooter, but I took to the SAS sights right away and I was shooting on par with good conventional pistol sight shooters.
    SigGendered

I saw one when I purchased my P365 and didn't like it at all. The gun store guy didn't like it either and had seen several returned after purchase because their owners were no longer liking the layout.

If that sort of thing really was effective, Special Forces would be using it on their guns. They aren't.

IIRC, the slide stop was this tiny thing almost impossible to drop. Would like to know who designed that and what the purpose was. Could not imagine trying to use the slide stop under duress. You could give me one for free and I still wouldn't carry it. That is how it made an impression on me.

IMO, it's a gimmick to separate people from their $$ in a crowded market.

Life is too short to accept poorly designed guns.
    Last edited by ShooterInPA1; July 19th, 2022 at 02:54 PM.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Westmoreland County)

It's not for everybody or every situation, for sure.

I have one. Carry it regularly. I find the more I practice with it, the better I get (weird I know). I doubt it will ever be as precise as my P365X with red dot sight, but for most applications, I see it's merit.

(York County)

It takes getting used to. And no matter how good you get with it you aren't ever going to win marksmanship contests with it.

At times I have wanted to just buy a standard 365 slide for it (the platform is great and disappears even with just a t shirt and shorts)

But with more practice I have gotten quite good at it.

I find that shots 2 through 11 in rapid fire are easy to control and keep on target. In a quick draw rapid fire situations at 10 yards I can put shots 2 through 11 in a 6 inch spread.

It's shot 1 that takes me a second to line up. That is obviously a problem but I consider it a shooter problem not a gun problem.

Basically the sights work. In rapid fire when I am not thinking about all the little details I am pretty good with it. One the first shot when I am thinking about sight picture and what not.... I over think it.

At 5 yards (think mugger) it doesn't matter. It is plenty good enough just looking over the top of the slide and not really trying.

It probably only took me 250 rounds to get decent with it. And I am still improving.

The tough part about that first shot is if you try to keep both eyes open and view the target....remembering which of the 2 guns you see to aim. (Hint...it's probably the right one)

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    I carry mine everyday. I was never a very good pistol shooter, but I took to the SAS sights right away and I was shooting on par with good conventional pistol sight shooters.
    This is interesting.

I was a really good pistol shooter (normal good....not toss the quarter up and hit Washington in the head good)

And the SAS sights were frustrating at the start for me.

You said you weren't a proficient piator shooter and you liked the SAS right away.

I found that I had to ignore the years or practice and training from iron sights and adopt an entirely different aiming style. And it's still a work in progress.

If you weren't really good to start with, then you probably got to skip the "untraining what you already knew" part.

So the SAS might be a better option for a less experience shooter if that is what you are learning to be good on.

That said, an experienced pistol shooter can learn the SAS sights. But it does take practice. And I don't feel that it is messing me up when I go back to irons.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    IIRC, the slide stop was this tiny thing almost impossible to drop. Would like to know who designed that and what the purpose was. Could not imagine trying to use the slide stop under duress. You could give me one for free and I still wouldn't carry it. That is how it made an impression on me.
    Depends what you mean by "drop". The slide stop is not a slide release in conventional form. Reading the manual and practicing with it will
    show that. It's a stop only and fits with the entire anti-snag profile of the gun. Releasing the slide is done by pulling back on the slide.
    SigGendered

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Depends what you mean by "drop". The slide stop is not a slide release in conventional form. Reading the manual and practicing with it will
    show that. It's a stop only and fits with the entire anti-snag profile of the gun. Releasing the slide is done by pulling back on the slide.

Yeah you can use it like normal but it's difficult. It's not something I would try during a high stress mag change.

A slight tough back on the slide racks it forward just fine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast