Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Something has been bothering me - caliber restrictions at ranges

I was at an indoor range recently and the guys next to me were shooting a rifle.

This range has caliber restrictions in place. So you can't show up and shoot an AR or AK. I know this isn't uncommon as it can damage the armor in the backstop. Usually they ask about any long guns being shot at the time you show up.

The guys with the rifle weren't being unsafe and i didn't notice any ricochets. Upon leaving, i asked the staff if they were aware of what was being shot.

They said it was either a shotgun or 30-30. I seemed surprised by that. They said the exception to the no rifle calibers were 30-30 and 30 carbine.

It is their house - their rules...But what!?

I know it doesn't have the speed of 5.56, but 30-30 has just as much energy. It also has more energy than say 300 blackout.

This has been on my mind now and I'm just plain confused by the logic here.

If anybody can explain to me why 30-30 gets a pass while other less powerful cartridges do not, I'd be grateful.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Something has been bothering me - caliber restrictions at ranges

I would guess its a velocity restriction.

(Bucks County)

Sounds like the indoor range has a marginal backstop made for pistol calibers only. A 30-30 usually shoots a round nose lead bullet and a 30 carbine a round nose FMJ. These bullets won't penetrate a backstop like when someone shoots a 5.56 with an armor piercing bullet.

i don't think they are fudds discriminating. They just know what their range is rated for,

(Jefferson County)

With that .30-30 exemption... ..even though the energy is about the same as a 7.62x39, the odds of the bullet having a steel core or jacket is much lower(practically 0) with the .30-30. Then factor in the bullet ogive, the round nose of the .30-30 is less likely to damage steel bullet stops and traps.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

The indoor range in Williamsport allows up to .308..........
    Full auto and suppressed.
    Last edited by fingers80002; July 18th, 2022 at 05:18 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    If anybody can explain to me why 30-30 gets a pass while other less powerful cartridges do not, I'd be grateful.

-Zach
    It has nothing to do with power so much as prevalence of armor piercing projectiles and typical velocity of commercial ammunition for the caliber.

.45-70 LRN-FP will not chew up hardened steel nearly as much as M855 green tip 5.56mm, despite being FAR more powerful energy-wise.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Bucks County)

Thanks guys! That definitely makes a lot more sense. I was just trying to understand it.

And truth be told, i thought it was a 44 Magnum lever gun by the report at first. So not awful to be next to with good ear pro.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Shotguns and rifles indoors are sketchy at best. unless its a super duper range, but in that case you would be able to shoot 762 and 223. go to a different range?

(Bucks County)

Proprietor of an indoor 25-yard range asked me to stop shooting hard lead .38 special, saying they are bouncing out onto the range floor.
    They were kind of old, maybe from the 70s.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Beaver County)

I've actually shot 45/70 405 grain at my indoor 25 yrd range. Grant it they were under 1k fps.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast