Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Why do you think PA resists allowing semi auto rifles for deer hunting?

Typically what I see are people complaining about SGL areas being a warzone. Of course, if it's unsafe for a semi-auto it's just as unsafe for a bolt action, so I'm not sure why they hunt SGL if they feel that their life is in danger. If anything a semi-automatic weapon gives their follow-up shots some chance of being on target rather than being directed at the barely-visible flank of a deer they grazed after they manage to cycle the action and reacquire the target. They could easily look at what other states have done and realize that their perceived danger from semi-auto hunting rifles is a fantasy.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Why do you think PA resists allowing semi auto rifles for deer hunting?

I believe its Fudd related. Its been like this forever. Why change?
    At 72, I have a hunting round already worked up for my PA10 and have never shot a deer with a .308. I got a 5 round mag too.
    I've been lucky enough to have harvested deer with a couple shotguns, 5 rifles, a pistol and 4 bows.

It would be cool to take the PA10 out.
    I know it's all about shot placement but I personally doubt I'd use my ARs in 5.56 even though I'm sure I could put a deer down with one of them.

I always did like my 760 pump and 30-30 but I've been taking the Tikka and Savage in .300 except in old mans rifle doe season.
    My National Ordnance 1903A3 is my go to for that time of year.

I suppose I just like hunting with almost anything.
    Last edited by 27hand; July 18th, 2022 at 09:54 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    AR15 in most cases is .223/5.56. I haven*t looked lately, but its always been *center fire of at least .25 caliber* for big game. That would rule out AR15 in the *normal* calibers, or did that rule change?
    For as long as I can remember PA has been centerfire without a caliber requirement. A .17Remington is legal just as much as a .25ACP is - so long as the gun is manually operated.

PA does have a minimum caliber for elk which is .27cal.

There are other caliber minimum sizes for muzzleloaders for rifles and handguns, and a max caliber for small game.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    AR15 in most cases is .223/5.56. I haven*t looked lately, but its always been *center fire of at least .25 caliber* for big game. That would rule out AR15 in the *normal* calibers, or did that rule change?
    Never changed. Any centerfire is legal. At least that's my understanding. My brother-in-law's father always used a .222. He'd pick out the scrawniest doe, and shoot it in the head. Got a deer every year. He said he got a deer that wouldn't make it through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Exactly fudds. Pa. Has disallowed semi auto for hunting since 1907. The fudds have held sway since then with their discriminatory blue laws and traditional views. Fortunately, they are dropping like flies and soon will be no more.

Every time a drunken old fudd goes to his reward is a good day. One less flannel-clad dickhead to mind someone else*s business.
    as long as you replace them with young blood thats great,
    but the statistics say kids do not want to go out in the woods on cold and rainy days and would rather stay home and play x-box than go hunting and fishing.
    The tradition is dying right along with the drunken old men.
    We got crossbows, straight wall calibers in Spec. Regs areas, Semi auto for small game Baby steps and be patient
    "Center fire rifle" is the correct answer for hunting deer

http://read.nxtbook.com/pgc/huntingt...gulations.html
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Berks County)

Why ask, "Why?", when you must comply.?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

I belong to a club. The members who run the club (probably not in the majority these days in their thinking)...are all inflicted with Fudditis. They are good people and I call some of them my friends but they are bolt action, deer hunting, Elmers. "We are a rifle club." I was told by one of them over breakfast. Rifles, in his mind, apparently do not include black plastic with 30 rd mags. But, they will not be around for too many years and change is inevitable. I'm 73 and I shoot what I want and enjoy. I just hope they don't destroy the club before they shuffle off this mortal coil. There are fewer and fewer of us every year.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Exactly fudds. Pa. Has disallowed semi auto for hunting since 1907. The fudds have held sway since then with their discriminatory blue laws and traditional views. Fortunately, they are dropping like flies and soon will be no more.

Every time a drunken old fudd goes to his reward is a good day. One less flannel-clad dickhead to mind someone else*s business.
    I have to tell you, ,as newer hunter I have to agree. Those old crusty dudes will do everything they can to turn away new hunters. They are dicks I agree.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I have to tell you, ,as newer hunter I have to agree. Those old crusty dudes will do everything they can to turn away new hunters. They are dicks I agree.
    That's a sad statement, but not the first time I've heard this. They seem to grouchily pontificate about there being only one way to do anything.

(Berks County)

It*s what I get. Crossbows, starter on Saturday. I*m so freaking sick of it. They disgust me with their lack of solid reasoning.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast