Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default AKM Gas Block loose fit.

Hello all. I'm working on a Romanian Model 64 under folder. Finally populating the barrel and the gas block is a loosie goosie. I was able to slide it into place. The barrel is in spec, the gas block seems to be a bit oversized. There's no play once it's on, I'm just worried about gas leaks once it's on, plus just drilling out for the pins would really move it around.

Should I dimple the barrel on the bottom or buy a new gas block?

I'm sure someone out here has seen this before. This is my third build, but I've never ran across this issue before.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by bubbared64; July 16th, 2022 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Mis spelling

(Berks County)

Default Re: AKM Gas Block loose fit.

I don*t know crap but don*t cheese it up. Buy a new block. High speed footage shows everything whipping around. You build for a reason, otherwise just buy century arm*s slapped together crap.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I don*t know crap but don*t cheese it up. Buy a new block. High speed footage shows everything whipping around. You build for a reason, otherwise just buy century arm*s slapped together crap.
    Good suggestion. Just curious if this is a common occurrence with gas AKM blocks and what the fix, if any, was besides replacing, I already ordered a replacement. I suppose if I was in a SHTF building one from scratch, or I was was working for Century Arms, the dimpling on the opposite side of the hole would work. But you are correct, I do build for a reason. If I really wanted to cheese things up, I would have mounted optics on my SKS a long time ago.

It happens all the time they come in different sizes if you had a og barrel they can be stamped 1111 2222 1221 etc indicating which size part to put where. If you took a pipe cutter and ran ot over the barrel just ahead and behind the Gosport it would snug things up and help make a seal. Or you can center punch the bottom of the barrel

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    It happens all the time they come in different sizes if you had a og barrel they can be stamped 1111 2222 1221 etc indicating which size part to put where. If you took a pipe cutter and ran ot over the barrel just ahead and behind the Gosport it would snug things up and help make a seal. Or you can center punch the bottom of the barrel
    I like the pipe cutter idea, never thought of that. I did get another gas block, but I'll have to try the pipe cutter approach on a scrap barrel and see how that works out.

(Washington County)

Yea I would use a punch to displace some material on the edges of the gas block bore or on the barrel and tighten it up that way. I havent done the pipe cutter but I will have to, I like that idea.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796